So Confused! Southpaw or Orthodox ?!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Confused! Southpaw or Orthodox ?!

Hi Guys!

I'm so confused on which stance I should pursue (I have not been to a boxing gym yet) however I've been doing muay thai for quite awhile now (in southpaw stance) and want to transition into boxing.

I'm naturally right handed but every time I work on jabs, crosses, combos etc, it just doesn't feel right as an orthodox, my jabs feel silly, I know its your leading hand but it feels unco, however my crosses have power.

As a southpaw, I feel more comfortable, my jabs are strong even my crosses! but not as strong as my jabs. I work on combos better as well such as jab,cross,body,hook. My flow of movement/footwork feels better.

What would you guys recommend for the transition into boxing ?

Originally posted by Elbizo View Post
    Hi Guys!

I'm so confused on which stance I should pursue (I have not been to a boxing gym yet) however I've been doing muay thai for quite awhile now (in southpaw stance) and want to transition into boxing.

I'm naturally right handed but every time I work on jabs, crosses, combos etc, it just doesn't feel right as an orthodox, my jabs feel silly, I know its your leading hand but it feels unco, however my crosses have power.

As a southpaw, I feel more comfortable, my jabs are strong even my crosses! but not as strong as my jabs. I work on combos better as well such as jab,cross,body,hook. My flow of movement/footwork feels better.

What would you guys recommend for the transition into boxing ?
    You box in the most comfortable stance but work on both stances so you can confuse your opponent . I can box in either stance but don’t box no more to old

Comment

Thanks Luilun for contributing !

Comment

I'd probably fight southpaw if that is what you are used to from Muay Thai. Will have a better base.

Comment

Either way that you do it, you'd better do it soon. If you keep flippin' around, like a fish out of water, you're going to wind up on your ass..... confused and possibly flippin' around like a fish out of water on the canvas with 100's in attendance.

Every day that this remains unresolved is just another day lost. Another day of fvnkin' off instead of building your skill.

Just make up your mind. Are you a female? …...Rockin'
          Last edited by Rockin'; 02-24-2019, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Thanks and I’m a Male, I’ll be sticking with the Southpaw stance ��

Comment

Follow the advice of your coach. People who get preconceived notions and try to do it their own way usually struggle and the coach won't like dealing with you.

Comment

When you see a fighter switching stances back and forth, about 90% of the time, he is the one that is confused. Not his opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by Elbizo View Post
                  Thanks and I’m a Male, I’ll be sticking with the Southpaw stance ��
                  Bronco McCart was a natural orthadoxed fighter who fought south paw. He won a world title. Just sayin'......Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                  X