Collapse
No announcement yet.

Excruciating wrist injury from left hooks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy bag can be hell on the hands and wrists even for the pro's. Give it some time to heal and work around it the best you can. Don't Quit! there are many boxing related and cardio exercises you can do to stay in the game

Comment

Make sure that your hook technique is correct, it may be a recurring injury issue due to bad technique. No amount of rest will fix an issue that reoccurs as soon as hit something so before committing to just resting.

I had an issue with my left shoulder due to throwing hooks with bad form. Thought it was an Injury that just wouldn't heal, but it was that I kept Re-injuring my shoulder every time I tried to throw a hook.

Comment

backbends with a yoga mat, two every other day, 10-20 breaths each. thats about 20 second hold, x2.
        roll your knuckles afterwards

Comment

Pain like that usually indicates a condition that takes weeks, sometimes months, to heal. Not 48 hours.
          I know you're enthusiastic about boxing but being reckless will only keep you away from the thing you love.

You NEED to let this rest and then learn proper form. The left hook takes a while to get right and most people who think they know how to left hook actually don't. The wrist isn't even involved, you need a straight line from your elbow to knuckles. The hook comes from your legs, shoulders, and hips, not your arm. The wrist hurts when you try throwing it from your arm and not from the floor up.

Comment

You probably injured or tore your TFCC of your left wrist. I did the same thing last year. You need to go to a doctor for them to examine. My doctor put me in a cast for 1 month, then I gradually came back. When you come back you need to:

1. Wrap your hands every time you spar or hit any bag including speed bags, pay attention to your wrist.
            2. When throwing a left hook stay in your boxing stance, do not throw it parallel to the bag. Throw towards the center of the bag not the side.
            3. Come back slow, throw your other punches more and throw your left hook sparingly. It took me about a year to fully recover.

Comment

Guess what! Turns out I'll have to rest now anyway because I broke my finger playing footy!

Comment

Same issue

I feel you. Wrist pain from throwing hooks. I’m letting the wrist rest. I plan I buying a hand gripper. That is said to help strengthen muscles and tendons on the wrist and hand. Google the “best hand grippers” and choose one. GL

Comment

Originally posted by DugzBoxing View Post
                  I can never stop going to the boxing gym less than three times a week because it is really annoying not to train. I take boxing seriously and have eaten clean, trained at home, extra cardio outside of the gym etc. since last September (decided to take boxing up properly a month later when I was fit).

The real issue is I can't not train because I just love it and as I started boxing later than other teenagers, I feel like now is the time to get stuck in.

I rested for two weeks over the Christmas period and briefly kept on top of cardio and that but my wrist still didn't recover fully, although it felt much better. I would have thought two weeks, however, would have been plenty of time for recovery - considering my age. If the pain is excruciating, I usually give my wrist up to 48 hours rest.

I am thinking should I continue training but not throw any left hooks? When I hit pads, the pain strikes there and then; the same occurs when hitting the bag.

Can anyone please advise? Thank you in advance.
                  You probably have a TFCC injury, you need to go to the doctor. You will probably be out at least a month.

Comment

I just worked through it in the end. My wrists thickened naturally and are much stronger now.

Comment

Working...
                    X