How do boxers train to hit so fast?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do boxers train to hit so fast?

One of the best displays of speed, precision and power

Some boxers hit so fast and with so much strength and power it feels unreal. Is it something that is achieved over time? Is it genetics?

Maybe both?

Genetics in my opinion.

Comment

Its what separates the pro's from the amateurs.

Comment

Originally posted by scbb View Post
        Its what separates the pro's from the amateurs.
        You tell em scbb!

Comment

Fast hands, fast feet. Lightening quick combos require some pretty quick and subtle weight shifting on the feet as well. maybe try working on the shoe shine drill with the side to side weight shift on each punch. getting speedy at this may transfer to some overall added hand speed

I didn't watch the video btw

Comment

Originally posted by Eastbound View Post
            Fast hands, fast feet. Lightening quick combos require some pretty quick and subtle weight shifting on the feet as well. maybe try working on the shoe shine drill with the side to side weight shift on each punch. getting speedy at this may transfer to some overall added hand speed

I didn't watch the video btw
            ^^^^^^^^^this!

Comment

Well pad work, ball work and repeating the combinations many many times. Your body and muscles adapt quikly and you become faster by doing it more

Comment

Originally posted by Douwe_Geluk View Post
                Well pad work, ball work and repeating the combinations many many times. Your body and muscles adapt quikly and you become faster by doing it more
                A lot of adaption depends with age, too.

Comment

The obvious answer is that it’s genetic and there probably isn’t a way to train yourself to be explosive like Roy Jones or Tyson.

Kind of depressing honestly, since boxing is so dependent on speed. In my reading of the subject, it seems like there are excersies that will definitely cause fast twitch hypertrophy, but you have to wonder what the ceiling is. May be very low. Otherwise you’d see alot of people doing it. Olympic lifting, post activation potentiation, stuff like this is supposed to increase fast twitch and increase explosiveness. Give it a shot, I’m actually gonna read more about PAP and try to incorporate it in my workouts.

Also, one thing that surprised me is how much faster my right hand is when in southpaw stance. So maybe try putting your dominant hand in front. Should help you with a faster stronger jab. Just takes alot of time practicing and getting the muscle coordination right. And strangely enough my straight left is faster than ortho straight right, but not as powerful.

Wish you luck

Comment

I think a relaxed muscle fires quicker than a tensed one too. Might be that speed has a little to do with being relaxed. It’s tough for some people to relax one part of the body while using the other. Let’s say relaxing the shoulders and arms while the mid section and legs are in motion

Comment

Working...
                    X