Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you train to hit harder? Do squats and bigger muscles help?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mayweatherspace View Post
    The ultimate guide to hitting harder

I have done some research and based on what I have read, most of the power of a punch comes not from the fist or arms, but from the power generated in the legs. Is this true or just a myth?
    That would explain why boxers like Tyson hit so hard because they had rock hard legs like tree trunks

Other training to punch harder - speed bag, shadow boxing, squats, explosive training, HIIT cardio

Am I missing anything else? What other factors in training can improve your punching power?

Golf driving range

Comment

for the straight power shots

Comment

"Simple" physics basically: force = mass x speed
        So different factors play a role. Arms/technique are important for speed, a proper technique is required to get all your mass involved (legs, hips, shoulders). This means legs are important both for speed and to transfer your mass.

I would work first on a proper technique (mitts/heavy bag/shadow boxing etc. Training your legs doesn't automatically improve your power (in case of improper technique).

See also Rebounds post about proper technique...Technique is everything and often underestimated.

Comment

Kinematic chains.

Comment

Working...
          X