No announcement yet.

In-House Fight Night - Dec 7th

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WonderMonkey View Post
    Sparred a taller, stronger, faster and more experienced person last night. I felt completely overwhelmed. The only success I felt I had is when I got sloppy and got lucky. He beat me to punches, nullified movement, etc.

Very humbling. On the positive side, it is what SHOULD have happened, but that is only a small prize to me. I enjoyed the experience but not the feeling of being overwhelmed.
    Been following your progress on this thread, WonderMonkey. Props on the sheer determination of working through a difficult calf problem - takes guts.

Had my first sparring session last Saturday. My trainer, an MMA fighter, didn't take it too easy on me and I ended up taking 15-20 stiff punches to the face and stomach over three rounds. Agree that the feeling of being overwhelmed isn't pleasant but, after being so throughly humbled, I've been training harder and eating cleaner.

Training/Sparring with someone better makes us want to be better - I guess that's how you take yourself to the next level. Anyway, best of luck to you in the fight, man. I've personally still got a long way to go before I can claim to know anything about boxing! Back to the gym it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Le_Grand View Post
      Been following your progress on this thread, WonderMonkey. Props on the sheer determination of working through a difficult calf problem - takes guts.

Had my first sparring session last Saturday. My trainer, an MMA fighter, didn't take it too easy on me and I ended up taking 15-20 stiff punches to the face and stomach over three rounds. Agree that the feeling of being overwhelmed isn't pleasant but, after being so throughly humbled, I've been training harder and eating cleaner.

Training/Sparring with someone better makes us want to be better - I guess that's how you take yourself to the next level. Anyway, best of luck to you in the fight, man. I've personally still got a long way to go before I can claim to know anything about boxing! Back to the gym it is.
      Outside of the calf/leg holding back conditioning, the hardest part of all this learning to box and not fight. It's getting easier to implement in the ring what I work on outside of the ring so that's a bonus.

As for your trainer, hopefully that was just a first lesson to let you know what you don't know. From here on out I hope he (and others) push you, but don't beat on you beyond your ability to make use of it. Being overwhelmed is only positive if you get something out of it aside from the knowledge you were overwhelmed.

Comment

Outside of the calf/leg holding back conditioning, the hardest part of all this learning to box and not fight. It's getting easier to implement in the ring what I work on outside of the ring so that's a bonus.

As for your trainer, hopefully that was just a first lesson to let you know what you don't know. From here on out I hope he (and others) push you, but don't beat on you beyond your ability to make use of it. Being overwhelmed is only positive if you get something out of it aside from the knowledge you were overwhelmed.
        Agreed. As I see it, the trainer is just trying to push me into working as hard as possible. Last Saturday was a way of saying - you need to work hard on fitness, slipping punches and footwork. Of course, if he or any other sparring partner were to start doing any serious damage, I'd bring it up as they know I'm learning. Only three months in the game.

What I got out of feeling overwhelmed during that first sparring session was that I absolutely don't want it to happen again. Hence eating cleaner, training harder and hitting the hay earlier. Second sparring session tomorrow - let's see how that goes but feeling good about it.

Have you found out who your new opponent is? Keep us updated!

Comment

Have you found out who your new opponent is? Keep us updated!
          I did find out. He's 31, 6'4" and I don't know what his skill level is yet though I know he's not very experienced. Neither am I! Below is a photo. He's on the right and I'm on the left. Excuse the pose as this was after a session and the coach wanted the group to do some sort of college shout-out sign.

For reference, I'm 50 and 6'2".

Last edited by WonderMonkey; 10-26-2018, 05:53 AM.

Comment

What I got out of feeling overwhelmed during that first sparring session was that I absolutely don't want it to happen again. Hence eating cleaner, training harder and hitting the hay earlier. Second sparring session tomorrow - let's see how that goes but feeling good about it.
            I agree on the motivation of being overwhelmed. If you were to have sparred a complete beginner and felt overwhelmed then it would have been one thing, but an experienced opponent is another.

Luckily the two that I sparred and felt overwhelmed were both several inches taller (6'4", 6'6") and my new Fight Night opponent is also taller, so I'll get some help in dealing with someone with longer reach and slightly taller target.

Comment

I did find out. He's 31, 6'4" and I don't know what his skill level is yet though I know he's not very experienced. Neither am I! Below is a photo. He's on the right and I'm on the left. Excuse the pose as this was after a session and the coach wanted the group to do some sort of college shout-out sign.

For reference, I'm 50 and 6'2".

If it was me, I would land a good shot to the nads when I get in close on him.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                If it was me, I would land a good shot to the nads when I get in close on him.
                It's only a point deduction, right?

Comment

My opponent's offensive game plan is exactly what it should be, and that is jab and move. Jab jab jab jab jab and of course then strongly consider jabbing more. He's raw but strong and has long arms. I didn't get to see if he able to work from those jabs, countering, or defense when it gets taken to him. Also no idea how he deals with the inside game.

My game plan will also focus on the jab, as they always have. I'll use my jab and movement to create angle and opportunities and also to come under and inside. I like being inside and feel comfortable there so we will see how he is. I know when I spar most don't like it.

Crossing the danger zone (in, out) is something to deal with when you have differences in reach so I'm going to use my 6'4" and 6'6" sparring partners to work on that. Both have crisp jabs that have done damage to me recently as I've tried to cross THEIR danger zones so it will be good.

I've only had limited view of him but this week I'll be in the gym a few times at the same time so I'll get to scout him a bit. I realize this only go so far, but it's what I have so I'll use it. I'll over prepare and be able to do my best.

Comment

It's only a point deduction, right?
                    If the ref decides that it was flagrant he could disqualify you. I do not recommend throwing low blows in the ams. But in the pros you could get 5 good shots in before being disqualified. But again, if the ref decides that the shots were thrown intentionally he could DQ you on the first shot. I remember in my first pro fight my opponent headbutted me, I instantly busted him one in his ballz for that. The ref pointed at me, told me to clean it up and then we continued fighting. Do it at your own risk if you do it at all. ……...Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                      If the ref decides that it was flagrant he could disqualify you. I do not recommend throwing low blows in the ams. But in the pros you could get 5 good shots in before being disqualified. But again, if the ref decides that the shots were thrown intentionally he could DQ you on the first shot. I remember in my first pro fight my opponent headbutted me, I instantly busted him one in his ballz for that. The ref pointed at me, told me to clean it up and then we continued fighting. Do it at your own risk if you do it at all. ……...Rockin'
                      Good information but I wouldn't actually do that. Well I suppose I would like you did if someone was being flagrantly dirty but in these in-house things they try to keep things pretty clean.

Comment

Working...
                      X