No announcement yet.

In-House Fight Night - Dec 7th

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WonderMonkey View Post
    Trot went well. I am well aware that the cardio benefits of a slow job (slogging, they call it) are minimal and a waste when considered the time you spend doing it and what else you could do instead. For me it's about stamina on the lower leg. You all may not have this issue but from where I'm coming from in my leg/calf thing I get fatigue quickly down there. I need to do something that won't provoke the issue. If trotting gets me there I'm ok with it.

I did my trot yesterday and today I seem fine. Tonight is my session with the fight crew at the gym and tomorrow morning I will repeat my trot distance and approach.
    Job? you mean jog?

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
      Job? you mean jog?
      When you hate jogging so much it seems like a job.

Also, "yes".

Comment

Tonight I sparred a much superior opponent. I was the only guy at this session and I gave everyone else there some practice on fighting someone with more reach and strength then when it was my turn to go harder the coach asked someone from his stable to hop in. I really respected how this other figher handled it. He slowed down to let me get some work but also gave me some shots to show where I was being sloppy. He got some work out of it because I'm longer and stronger than he is. Obviously he could neutralize that but he still had to pay attention to it so I'm actually just hoping he got value as well. Either way I appreciated the entire session.

I went a total of four 2 minute rounds and during the fourth my legs were shaking. Two rounds were with the ladies, who are actually pretty good technically, and two with the superior fighter.

Comment

Changed/evolved my schedule. Each day includes shadowboxing.

Mon
          - AM resistance training
          - PM Fight Camp
          Tues
          - PM Private Session. Will be whatever I need to work on but will include sparring of some type
          Wed
          - AM resistance training
          - PM Fight Camp
          Thursday
          - PM group sparring
          Friday - Day off
          Saturday
          - Modified fitness boxing class (I do more realistic versions of what they do, less reps)
          - More work depending on how the class went. Shadow, etc. at a minimum
          Sunday - Day off

Comment

Originally posted by WonderMonkey View Post
            Changed/evolved my schedule. Each day includes shadowboxing.

Mon
            - AM resistance training
            - PM Fight Camp
            Tues
            - PM Private Session. Will be whatever I need to work on but will include sparring of some type
            Wed
            - AM resistance training
            - PM Fight Camp
            Thursday
            - PM group sparring
            Friday - Day off
            Saturday
            - Modified fitness boxing class (I do more realistic versions of what they do, less reps)
            - More work depending on how the class went. Shadow, etc. at a minimum
            Sunday - Day off
            Very solid scheduled that is.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
              Very solid scheduled that is.
              Thanks. I continue to evolve it depending on my calf/leg responds.

Comment

I've sparred a few times and just arranged for two formal sparring sessions a week. I'm going to try and arrange one more.

With only one exception I've gone against a superior opponent. They have done a mix of pressing me and letting me get in some work. I enjoy all that as even when they pressed it was productive to me.

The only time it wasn't against a superior opponent it was the person who they were thinking of paring me against for the Fight Night. It's smart to do as it helps create better matches. The person I sparred isn't who I should fight as I overmatched them with little trouble. The guy MAY have better boxing skills but he isn't good enough to counter that I do have a CERTAIN level of boxing ability combined with my too-little-concern to be hit (I'm working on that), physicality, and aggressiveness. When fighting the superior opponent those things can be exploited (and where) but then a lesser fighter it isn't good for them.

So .... good times are being had and I'm enjoying the process, with the minor exception of increasing my conditioning given my calf/foot. I just can't push each week as I want and am hoping that by the time of the fight I can make it through.

Comment

I'm not doing my jogging anymore. My calf/leg didn't appreciate it.

Comment

Also ..... I'm down to 252.5 lbs. I continue to work on improving nutrition and increase focused boxing work as I can.

Comment

Tomorrow's (Thursday) focus will be breathing and backing away to regain breath. I tend to stay in and engage beyond my fitness and ability to recover so I need to work on it. In theory, I should be able to spar more rounds if I don't expend my energy and wind needlessly.

Comment

Working...
                      X