Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing Shoes To Limit Calf Strain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They also have calf sleeves that could help.

But yeah if you are overweight at all, then jumping exercises are the worst possible things you can do. If you aren't landing correctly regardless of the surface its going to **** your **** up. When doing box jumps there really shouldn't be a thud or any noise.

Best of luck my dude!

There are definitely other exercises that you can do to substitute in the meantime. Including extending up onto your tip toes while doing squats on a smith machine, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastbound View Post
      Don't do exercises that you know make your calf sore. Do other exercises. make sure your calf is recovered completely before retrying movements that aggravate it. ease back into it....stop immediately if there is any pain or tightness. Try some different shoes to see what works best for you. This kind of thing has happened to me in the past, injuries here and there. This is how I work around it. proper diet of veggies and high quality protein will reduce inflammation and aid in recovery. unhealthy carbs, sugar and deep fried foods will increase inflammation and make it harder to recover
      I agree on all of that. If I increment slowly I'm able to do more things. What I did two Saturdays ago I felt I was ready for .... but my calf did not agree. One odd thing is I don't feel any pain DURING the exercise and have to wait until much later that day or the following morning to see if I provoked things or not.

Inflammation is one of the things I focus on, and paying attention to it has (of course) also helped with reducing unwanted bodyfat %.

As for the shoes, we do a bunch of work on the wrestling mats and normal exercise shoes get too much grip. Because of that I went to wrestling show and while they helped there isn't enough support to help with the calf issue. I WAS wearing an ankle brace to limit calf movement as well as a calf compression sleeve but I thought I was past that now. I'm going to use them again and see how things go.

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post
        Do squats
        I'm doing that, though not heavy at all. In addition to air squats, wall balls, etc. I do goblet squats and light (135 lbs for reps) normal barbell squats.

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
          They also have calf sleeves that could help.

But yeah if you are overweight at all, then jumping exercises are the worst possible things you can do. If you aren't landing correctly regardless of the surface its going to **** your **** up. When doing box jumps there really shouldn't be a thud or any noise.

Best of luck my dude!

There are definitely other exercises that you can do to substitute in the meantime. Including extending up onto your tip toes while doing squats on a smith machine, etc.
          Thanks for the input. I don't do box jumps anymore. I step up and step down. That STILL may be more than my calf likes for who knows what reasons.

As I go through this whole process I've been eliminating things that I KNOW provoke things and here and there reintroducing if I think possible. Sometimes I get it right, and other times I get it wrong. One thing I know is I won't be doing what we did in that fitness class.

And, of course, I am focused on losing unwanted bodyfat as well.

I am happy that I can do a certain amount of skipping rope now. I'll keep doing just a bit of it, then a bit more, etc. and see how things go. I'm VERY focused on form and how I land, so I think I'm doing a fair job on that.

It might be that I just have to do round after round of mitts and sparring to increase cardio. That's one reason why I just bought my own set of mitts.

Comment

Originally posted by WonderMonkey View Post
            Thanks for the input. I don't do box jumps anymore. I step up and step down. That STILL may be more than my calf likes for who knows what reasons.

As I go through this whole process I've been eliminating things that I KNOW provoke things and here and there reintroducing if I think possible. Sometimes I get it right, and other times I get it wrong. One thing I know is I won't be doing what we did in that fitness class.

And, of course, I am focused on losing unwanted bodyfat as well.

I am happy that I can do a certain amount of skipping rope now. I'll keep doing just a bit of it, then a bit more, etc. and see how things go. I'm VERY focused on form and how I land, so I think I'm doing a fair job on that.

It might be that I just have to do round after round of mitts and sparring to increase cardio. That's one reason why I just bought my own set of mitts.
            wonder monkey, I think your on the right track with this frame of mind, and wish you the best of luck in your fitness/boxing journey. Just remember it can take years of training and dedication to achieve moderate success at this stuff. Set small goals and knock em down towards your bigger goals. Keep us posted and keep asking questions

Comment

Originally posted by Eastbound View Post
              wonder monkey, I think your on the right track with this frame of mind, and wish you the best of luck in your fitness/boxing journey. Just remember it can take years of training and dedication to achieve moderate success at this stuff. Set small goals and knock em down towards your bigger goals. Keep us posted and keep asking questions
              Thanks. My immediate goals is the in-house Fight Night. That's all I really aspire to do in the competition realm. Luckily they try to pair people to make a good fight. Their issue is that even with my lack of fitness they can't pair me with the normal 45 yr old and up as they can't hang. I'm 50.

Comment

I took the suggestions of some here and have gone back to using my compression sleeves (full calf, knee) and ankle support (to limit calf impact) and so far it's been a positive. When I'm doing regular non-impact workouts I don't wear all that but for times when I'm with the boxing coach or "boxing activities" I do.

So .... thanks, people.

Comment

I took the suggestions of some here and have gone back to using my compression sleeves (full calf, knee) and ankle support (to limit calf impact) and so far it's been a positive. When I'm doing regular non-impact workouts I don't wear all that but for times when I'm with the boxing coach or "boxing activities" I do.

So .... thanks, people.
                  Keep up the good work. Have to stay healthy to stay fit and in the gym.

Eating right and supplements will help that as well, along with plenty of water.

Could try a joint support supplement and fish oil.

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
                    Keep up the good work. Have to stay healthy to stay fit and in the gym.

Eating right and supplements will help that as well, along with plenty of water.

Could try a joint support supplement and fish oil.
                    I'm all in on well thought out supplementation. Got my Omega's, turmeric based things, multi-pack vitamins, etc. I evaluate these every few half year or so to make sure the options are still valid. Always looking to lower sugar and other inflammation type food.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Comment

I'm all in on well thought out supplementation. Got my Omega's, turmeric based things, multi-pack vitamins, etc. I evaluate these every few half year or so to make sure the options are still valid. Always looking to lower sugar and other inflammation type food.

Thanks for the encouragement.
                      I recommend RSP Creatine Monohydrate & RSP Joint Support.

I also supplement with curcumin (turmeric)

Comment

Working...
                      X