Why Does my Coach Leave mid-Sparring?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Does my Coach Leave mid-Sparring?

Hi everyone!

I am aware that every coach/gym has it's different protocol and personality... I've been training on & off for a year now. I've been at my current gym for a few months now...

My coach put me against a guy around my size 120 pounds (i'm a girl) for sparring today. He has been boxing for a few months. I've been pretty much dominating my female sparring partners. I guess he had a lot of faith in me to put me up with a dude.

He got the better of me in the first few rounds (we sparred a total of 8). I let my frustration get the best of me, and tired myself out in those rounds.

I noticed my coach watching silently, and left the room. I got really frustrated and felt pretty much disrespected that he did that. If he put me in the ring to spar, he better be there to work my corner... this is not the first time that this has happened... I don't understand why a coach would do that... I can assure you he did not leave as an emergency, etc. The gym was pretty much quiet today on a Friday.

You guys ever experience this with your coach? What are your thoughts on why he would do that??

Thanks!

***I will report all inappropriate/sexual harrasment comments

Originally posted by DespicableMi View Post
    What are your thoughts on why he would do that??
    Interesting question. It could be a number of things. He may just be ducking out and doing other stuff which is obviously not great.

Or maybe he wants to test your mentality. He wants you to get used to sparring without him there as a 'comfort blanket' perhaps? He's worried that you're boxing with one eye on impressing him and he'd rather you learnt to focus purely on the matter at hand?

Best solution is to talk to him about it. You need trust between you and you get to that by being open and direct. Good luck!

ps, it sucks you have to write this:

but you should most definitely do so should it be required. I hope your presence will encourage other women to post here. I got my love of boxing from my mum

Comment

Originally posted by DespicableMi View Post
      Hi everyone!

I am aware that every coach/gym has it's different protocol and personality... I've been training on & off for a year now. I've been at my current gym for a few months now...

My coach put me against a guy around my size 120 pounds (i'm a girl) for sparring today. He has been boxing for a few months. I've been pretty much dominating my female sparring partners. I guess he had a lot of faith in me to put me up with a dude.

He got the better of me in the first few rounds (we sparred a total of 8). I let my frustration get the best of me, and tired myself out in those rounds.

I noticed my coach watching silently, and left the room. I got really frustrated and felt pretty much disrespected that he did that. If he put me in the ring to spar, he better be there to work my corner... this is not the first time that this has happened... I don't understand why a coach would do that... I can assure you he did not leave as an emergency, etc. The gym was pretty much quiet today on a Friday.

You guys ever experience this with your coach? What are your thoughts on why he would do that??

Thanks!

Does your trainer train a lot of other male fighters that he thinks have potential? Unfortunatley women's boxing has been dead for some years now and there's not really a lot of money in it so some trainer would rather use their time focusing on a fighter they could make some money or at least win an amateur championship with to make a name for themselves.

However it's definitley not right for a trainer to leave fighters sparring unattended especially if a guy and a girl are sparring, the girl could get seriously hurt and he could get in a lot of trouble. What made matters even worse is the fact that he saw the guy get the best of you and just left. Weren't there any other trainers that could step in to stop it if things got ugly? that would be extremely careless and irresponsible.

If you're serious about this boxing game and you've always felt that your trainer is being indifferent then go train somewhere else where the trainer actually cares, some trainers like to throw fighters in there with tougher fighters to test them but you can't test someone if you're not there watching the sparring. Very weird behavior and you should have a talk with him and let him know this is not OK if you wanna still train with him.

Comment

Sounds like he has a drug habit to me.

Comment

Probably just went to see if ggg had finally selected an opponent

Comment

Originally posted by lex_fugitive View Post
            Sounds like he has a drug habit to me.
            Couldn't watch the embarassing **** without a hit anymore

Comment

sounds like you don't trust that he knows what he's doing

do you really need your coach to be watching you every second of every round of sparring??? whoever you're working with, you can help each other out without a coach necessarily needing to be there. if anything, coach leaving you to it shows that you're at a level where you can progress naturally, which is a good thing

if coach did stick around and try to impart extra knowledge, it would mostly be wasted on a relative newbie like you. and there is also everyone else in the gym to think about, as well as his non-boxing life. he's probably just seen enough of you for that day and is happy with your progression

Comment

Probably went to go drop a deuce. Let the man poop, woman!!

Comment

95% of the people your asking to respond have never boxed in their lives!
                  Why not ask your trainer why he left. I would think sparring an 8 round session would be an instructional situation as opposed to any thing else. There's no need for a novice to work 8 rounds especially unsupervised.

Baseball, football, soccer, basketball have coaches. Boxing has trainers.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                    95% of the people your asking to respond have never boxed in their lives!
                    Why not ask your trainer why he left. I would think sparring an 8 round session would be an instructional situation as opposed to any thing else. There's no need for a novice to work 8 rounds especially unsupervised.

Baseball, football, soccer, basketball have coaches. Boxing has trainers.

Ray
                    Here in UK, the term 'coach' is used when referring to the guys providing instruction at amateur level. Hell, to be registered with the ABAE you must complete a 'coaching certificate'. So, maybe 'trainer' is more applicable in the pros? Anyway, you're right, there are lots of people here who DKSAB, but for me, it's like asking for medical advice on the internet, the answer is always gonna be, 'go see a doctor!'

8 rounds is a lot, makes me think it wasn't no-holds barred, like you say, something instructional. But then, I've seen plenty of times where people have paired up for that type of thing and just got on with it. Hard to say over the internet. There's you and Rockin', especially, and some other guys who know what they're talking about, and almost always you give the same replies to these types of posts - speak to the trainer/coach, and local boxers, and don't rely on advice over the internet!

Comment

Working...
                    X