Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heavy bag + hand pain: Is it me or the gloves?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you wrap your hands, go around the top knuckles once and then fold the wrap in a matter which it isn't wrapping around the knuckle, but you fold the wrap to cover the knuckles in layers. Go for five, six layers then wrap it around and come down around the wrist, then come up between the 3 fingers. you should have just enough to come back over the knuckles snugly and to the secure wrist with the 180.

Comment

Changed up my wrap slightly to incorporate a few more X's across the metacarpals after reversing over the thumb, which seems to provide better palmar support under the 5th knuckle. That change alone made a significant enough difference that I no longer have any pain while hitting the bag - the same area is still somewhat sore afterwords, but perhaps this is just due to irritation of a pre-existing sprain (I'm pretty convinced it's the dorsal intermetacarpal ligament between MC IV-V at this point) that hasn't fully healed?

Comment

Originally posted by Superleggera View Post
        perhaps this is just due to irritation of a pre-existing sprain (I'm pretty convinced it's the dorsal intermetacarpal ligament between MC IV-V at this point) that hasn't fully healed?
        I would agree with that theory.

Comment

I had a similar issue. I originally was using a pair of 14 oz Venum gloves that I purchased for $79 on amazon and wasn't experiencing any real hand pain/soreness. After a couple weeks I purchased a pair of Hayabusa t3 16oz and started feeling pain in what sounds like the same area of the hand. I would almost alternate which hand had pain (I would take it a little easy on one hand and then that hand would feel better and the other hand would hurt, and then repeat). I started wrapping my hands a bit different and it seemed to help a bit. My form is pretty good and I train in a boxing gym, but it's only been a few months of actual boxing (I started doing boxing specific exercises before joining the gym, but didn't practice throwing punches, hit a bag/mitts, or sparring until joining the gym).

I've decided that it's most likely just that my hands aren't conditioned and are having to catch up. The rest of my body is strong, but my hands just aren't used to repeatedly punching things. I make sure to ice my hands right after training/sparring, and give them adequate rest (which is hard when you work with your hands, and train/spar minimum 3 times a week).

Best of luck and hope your hands catch up!

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
            I had a similar issue. I originally was using a pair of 14 oz Venum gloves that I purchased for $79 on amazon and wasn't experiencing any real hand pain/soreness
            Thats actually a good price for those. Ive seen them for a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
              Thats actually a good price for those. Ive seen them for a lot more.
              Yeah they weren't bad. A seam on the inside tore a bit on the heavybag, but otherwise I thought they protected my hand and wrist well/were lightweight/styled nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
                Yeah they weren't bad. A seam on the inside tore a bit on the heavybag, but otherwise I thought they protected my hand and wrist well/were lightweight/styled nicely.
                Glad everything worked out.

Comment

Bag won't do any good to you anyway, too stationary a target, no need to explode on that all your power and break your body day by day.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovi View Post
                    Bag won't do any good to you anyway, too stationary a target, no need to explode on that all your power and break your body day by day.
                    What do you prefer to use?

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                      What do you prefer to use?
                      Mate I prefer using double-ended bags, they are really jumpy and you feel the accuracy improvement. It's not like heavy bags on which you can land however and whenever you want and feel powerful. You must catch it as it moves here and there. Timing and accuracy, also fores you to throw with speed.

Not to mention that won't harm your body like heavy bags, you can keep going on that for rounds.

Comment

Working...
                      X