No announcement yet.

Road work?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big.daddy.allan View Post
    Running to increase stamina and just overall be in better shape/burn fat. I don't really get enough cardio work done so I'm trying to find different ways to get a good cardio workout in.
    Jump rope instead.

Start with 3, 3 minute rounds with 1 minute rest. Then move to 6, 3 minute rounds with one minute rest.

Once you get that down with a good intensity, do 15 minutes straight, no rest.

Get good with that, then do 20 minutes straight no rest.

When that gets easy, do 30 minutes no rest. Sounds easy, but 20 or 30 minutes no rest is a rough workout.

If you really want to burn calories...

Buy a can of Albolene from Walgreens. Its a make-up remover. What it does is open up you pores so you sweat better. Its legit.

Rub that stuff on your torso. Put a t-shirt on over that. Over that t-shirt but a fragrance-free garbage bag over that (poke holes for your head and arms). Then more layers of t-shirts over the garbage bag. When it gets too hot, take layers off one at a time.

If you want to get gangsta with that, buy a wetsuit and jump rope in that.
    Last edited by McNulty; 10-07-2017, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I think I'll only do twice a week. Im in my early 40s and played competitive basketball for a really long time so my knees aren't what they used to be. I tried treadmill and elliptical but hated it...heard cycling is good but I can't get over the silly looking spandex gear
      Get yourself a decent road bike, but agree the Lycra is a joke.

I love being in my crappy shorts, my vans/converse trainers and just a t shirt, especially when I smash past some power ranger dressed guy at twice the pace.

Listening to some guy in the changing room at work talking about carbon fibre brake calipers on his bike as it reduce 300grams of weight. This guy was fat as ****. Worrying about shedding a few grass to go faster when he had a body fat % of 30+

I agree the bike brigade are middle aged men who used to spend money on golf clubs, now clog up the roads on a Sunday morning however, cycling is great. My mind gets so bored running, and OK a good cycle is an hour and half for me but I can cover some decent distance and have great coastal paths With great views to help me unwind

Comment

Originally posted by Richard P View Post
        Get yourself a decent road bike, but agree the Lycra is a joke.

I love being in my crappy shorts, my vans/converse trainers and just a t shirt, especially when I smash past some power ranger dressed guy at twice the pace.

Listening to some guy in the changing room at work talking about carbon fibre brake calipers on his bike as it reduce 300grams of weight. This guy was fat as ****. Worrying about shedding a few grass to go faster when he had a body fat % of 30+

I agree the bike brigade are middle aged men who used to spend money on golf clubs, now clog up the roads on a Sunday morning however, cycling is great. My mind gets so bored running, and OK a good cycle is an hour and half for me but I can cover some decent distance and have great coastal paths With great views to help me unwind
        I saw some older guys (60s to 70s at least) in the morning the other day riding and one crashed causing the other six to crash like a big pile up. I laughed so hard my coffee almost went through my nose. Hell is calling me.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
          I saw some older guys (60s to 70s at least) in the morning the other day riding and one crashed causing the other six to crash like a big pile up. I laughed so hard my coffee almost went through my nose. Hell is calling me.
          LOL, I would've laughed too

Comment

LOL, I would've laughed too
            That reminds me of those huge crashes in the pro races.

Comment

Essentially I would say most boxers need to train pretty much like a 800m/1500m middle distance runners so? Look up some track workouts, or specific roadwork workouts and incorporate them 3 times per week! The percentage of energy systems use during these track events are pretty transitional over into boxing! (I could go way more into detail, but I am rather tired at this point in time! Bottom line is? Long slow miles on the road everyday, In my opinion are a complete waste of time!).
              Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 10-15-2017, 05:39 PM. Reason: Why Not?

Comment

My running depends on the weather. I hate running in gyms or on a track. Can't do it. Too boring. I like the outdoors.

When weather permits, I'll do approximately 2 - 3 miles a pop. 4 miles max. I'll do this at a decent pace. Usually somewhere between 7:15 - 7:45 min per mile. I'll do this around 3 or 4 days per week.

I know I'm going to have knee problems when I'm older. When that happens I'll probably invest in a good, quality mountain bike or just swim like I have gills.

Comment

Working...
                X