No announcement yet.

Training and diet advice please

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training and diet advice please

I work shift work, and can only get to the gym 2-3 days a week. Im thinking of training like this on days I cant get to the gym. I can do the entire workout I've listed below from home. Im pretty much a beginner, and don't have a heavy bag at home. Since I'm so new to boxing my shadow boxing game is pretty weak, so I haven't included any of that yet, but will eventually.

Warm Up
    Stretch
    Skip 3x3 minute rounds (1 minute breaks)

Workout
    Squats 3x3minute rounds of as many as possible, 1min rest
    Pushups " "
    Crunches " "
    Lunges " "
    Chest dips 3x12
    Pullups 3x6
    Bodyweight rows 3x8
    L-sits 5x 0:20

cool down
    stretching

I figure this workout will take ~1:30

Thinking of adding roadwork during the summer months, but I live in the Yukon, (part of Canada near Alaska) and 6 months of the year it's way too cold do hit the road and run. Plus, I already run 5 miles less than 30 mins, so my running is decent already.

Eventually Id like to add :30 of bag work/shadow boxing, but I need to learn more technique and combos first. I figure I can at least work on my conditioning until then.

My diet currently consists of:
    Breakfast
    1L water, coffee with coconut oil, 2 eggs, 2 slices of bacon, half a fried zucchini

Lunch
    2-3 cups spinich, oil/vinegar dressing, 1/2 avocado, some kind of meat, 1L water

Snack
    small handful of almonds

Supper
    some kind of meat, 1/2 fried zucchini or 2-3 cups broccoli or 2-3 cups spinach, 1/2 avocado, 1L water

I try not to snack at night, but if i do its usually some pork rinds. I only drink 1-2 coors light per week, usually less. I take 1 scoop of creatine per day, but thats all for supplements.

Im not looking to amateur fight or anything, just to get into fighting shape and learn to defend myself as best as possible (I work in a very dangerous job).

Anyone have input?

I also want to get a pair of gloves for training in - any recommendations?

Comment

Looks pretty good to me, I would recommend get started shadow boxing soon though, if you don't have a trainer check out some youtube channels, like Fran Sands or Expertboxing, they can show you the fundamentals like proper punch form and stance, footwork, etc. Be strict with form, use a mirror.
      Diet wise, you eat healthy, but what is your goal? Do you want to gain, cut or maintain weight, build muscle, etc? Depending on your goals, I would use a food scale and a diet tracking app on your phone to really dial in your diet to achieve your goals. I use MyFitnessPal, it is free and easy to use.

Comment

Thanks for the input.

I am taking a class, so I don't have a 1-on-1 trainer, so I will be learning slowly. I've also taken a few 1-on-1 Muay Thai classes, but I feel like the defence is super weak in Muay Thai, so I've switched to boxing. Eventually I'd like to get into a little BJJ just to round out my defensive game.

Id like to cut down slowly, but I'm not really willing to eat too much less. I try really hard not to cheat but maybe twice a month I'll crush a pizza - it's just too hard not to!

Basically Im 6'1, 180 lbs right now @ around 17-18% bf. I'd like to get down to 175 lbs @ 12% bf. I'm not in a huge rush to get there, and I don't want to starve myself. I have absolutely zero interest in lifting weights and would prefer to just use my pull up bar, parallel bars, and body as my exercise tools.
        Last edited by Ddub; 09-09-2017, 03:10 PM.

Comment

We sound like very similar build, I am slowly cutting to 175, aiming for 1 pound or less per week. I am at 180 right now, about %12 bf. Tracking my calories has been working well for me, and I do have a cheat meal or two per week, nothing outrageous, but just to keep energy and morale up.
          For gloves, anyone can tell you Winning, Grant or Reyes are good, I hear good things about Twins and Fairtex, I personally like Sabas and feel they are very good value for the price. I stay away from Title/Ringside for the most part, their higher priced glove may be good, but for the price I like my Sabas gloves.

Comment

Ringside alpha series (the high end one) are very good, will set you back $110+ USD the lower end part synthetic are not so good.

Rival or if you want to go a bit left field hayabusa gloves are very good, not cheap and don't carry the kudos of some other brands.

Comment

Those Ringside gloves look nice, why don't they have them on the Ringside US website? I only see them from UK.

Comment

I didn't know ringside and ringside uk are different company's (did a little research, how odd in a day of lawsuits and image rights)

The U.K. Ones are great, I know they are very stringent on controlling their margin and price (much like Apple) so you may struggle to find a us retailer as their won't be much in it for them and too much hassle

Comment

Originally posted by Richard P View Post
                  I didn't know ringside and ringside uk are different company's (did a little research, how odd in a day of lawsuits and image rights)

The U.K. Ones are great, I know they are very stringent on controlling their margin and price (much like Apple) so you may struggle to find a us retailer as their won't be much in it for them and too much hassle
                  I've actually heard some very good things about Ringside UK gloves, but never used them myself.

Comment

The majority of your diet consists of saturated fat and Cholesterol.
                    Bacon, Eggs, Coconut oil, fried food, meat all that crap is not good for your health.

"Im not looking to amateur fight or anything, just to get into fighting shape "

Even if you are not trying to maximise your performance, reducing saturated fat and Cholesterol in your
                    diet will benefit both in overall health and being lean.
                    But then again, it is up to you how much you value that.

Comment

Working...
                    X