Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sparring video (1 minute)

Here's a video from sparring today.
    I'm in the white headgear.

Trainer (to my opponent @00:10): "slowly go forward, put the pressure on, walk forward!"
    (@00:20) "you have to go forward!"
    (To me @00:38) "be careful of the right hook!"

I wanted to go light and wasn't concentrating on getting big shots in.
    My opponent is much shorter and is a pressure fighter. He likes to slowly come forward, get you on the ropes and land hooks to the body and head.

What's the best way to box against a short pressure fighter with strong hooks?

My plan today was to keep moving and work the jab a lot to keep him at bay. Interestingly I noticed that by calming down and not trying to go for power shots all the time, I could see the best opportunities to land harder shots, maybe because it makes the opponent open up a bit and get sloppy with defence.

If you have any advice at all regarding my technique, strategy etc, I'd love to hear it!

Edit: also how do i embed youtube videos in my post?!
    Last edited by AaronJW; 05-02-2017, 03:04 AM.

I like it. I think you did a good job with your movement and keeping him from coming forward. I noticed once or twice that as he's advancing, you take a small step toward him, and he stops long enough for you to move and get good position

Comment

Originally posted by AaronJW View Post
      https://youtu.be/OH_jZF6ibrY

Trainer (to my opponent @00:10): "slowly go forward, put the pressure on, walk forward!"

My opponent is much shorter and is a pressure fighter. He likes to slowly come forward, get you on the ropes and land hooks to the body and head.

My plan today was to keep moving and work the jab a lot to keep him at bay. Interestingly I noticed that by calming down and not trying to go for power shots all the time, I could see the best opportunities to land harder shots, maybe because it makes the opponent open up a bit and get sloppy with defence.

If you have any advice at all regarding my technique, strategy etc, I'd love to hear it!

Best way to box preasure fighters is to alway move around and counter his shots. Learn to punch while stepping back. Sidestepping and pivoting. Watch Guillermo rigondeux fights in the ameture and the donarie fight

Comment

Nice sparring brah, need to move your head a bit more though else you're liable to get your clock cleaned

When I spar I'm normally the shorter fighter so I mostly fight as a pressure fighter but I've been sparring another pressure fighter recently and I've been the back-foot fighter. Had some pretty good success tbh - suggest you watch some Mayweather fights.

The things I've learned is to be aware of your surroundings, don't let him get you in a corner or on the ropes. Try to stay in the middle of the ring and pump out those jabs and keep moving & side-stepping. Let him follow you around the ring and throw in some Mayweather style lead/counter right hands to keep him guessing. The other guy will become hesitant and frustrated.

Last edited by The Ox; 05-01-2017, 12:19 PM.

Comment

https://youtu.be/OH_jZF6ibrY

Keep you hands up when he comes in and your elbows tight to your body. Don't forget chin down eyes up. How long have you done this?

Comment

Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
            I like it. I think you did a good job with your movement and keeping him from coming forward. I noticed once or twice that as he's advancing, you take a small step toward him, and he stops long enough for you to move and get good position
            Thanks!

Originally posted by Humble fighter View Post
            Best way to box preasure fighters is to alway move around and counter his shots. Learn to punch while stepping back. Sidestepping and pivoting. Watch Guillermo rigondeux fights in the ameture and the donarie fight
            Thanks for the help, I'll check out those fights

Originally posted by Sadio Mane View Post
            Nice sparring brah, need to move your head a bit more though else you're liable to get your clock cleaned

When I spar I'm normally the shorter fighter so I mostly fight as a pressure fighter but I've been sparring another pressure fighter recently and I've been the back-foot fighter. Had some pretty good success tbh - suggest you watch some Mayweather fights.

The things I've learned is to be aware of your surroundings, don't let him get you in a corner or on the ropes. Try to stay in the middle of the ring and pump out those jabs and keep moving & side-stepping. Let him follow you around the ring and throw in some Mayweather style lead/counter right hands to keep him guessing. The other guy will become hesitant and frustrated.

Thanks for the help! I've learned to move my head more but it's still not enough I guess

Originally posted by j.razor View Post
            Keep you hands up when he comes in and your elbows tight to your body. Don't forget chin down eyes up. How long have you done this?
            Thanks for the help.
            I've been boxing now for I think about 2 years. Just as a hobby

Comment

getting there Aaron

head, head, head, weve talked about this, keep that head moving.

looking much more relaxed and composed, good

guard was a little slack at times, which is why he hit you. keep working that lateral movement with the head, start to pay attention to foot speed now. get those feet in and out.

Some good ladder box drills and traditional American football running back and corner back drills will help

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the help, I'll check out those fights

Thanks for the help! I've learned to move my head more but it's still not enough I guess

Thanks for the help.
                I've been boxing now for I think about 2 years. Just as a hobby
                Well its a great way to stay in shape. Oh, and when you have a smaller man in front of you stick him with the jab, its effective and easy works for me everytime. Good Luck.

Comment

Ok,I'm be honest, after first time of watching... no good.
                  If your doing it has a hobby,grand, but if you have been doing it for 2 years,don't think about getting in the ring anytime soon.

Your chin is way up,hence the fact each time he hit you your head bounced back.
                  Footwork was all over the place, each time he stepped in,you should of either caught him with a jab, step to the side,or swivel with you hook (step to the left while throwing a left hook)
                  You didn't throw much punches at all, and the jabs that you did throw were lazy.
                  You have to step in with your jab,
                  And you really must learn how to use your feet, how to step out of range,and get in and out of range while also turning your opponent the way YOU want.

By not doing any of this your given up too much ring generalship.

I'm not trying to $h!t on you at all, but as a trainer you have so much to work on (in the ring)

Boxing is grand as a hobby, but please sharpen up a bit if your thinking fighting.

Ps. Work on your speed also, and technique,
                  Rule of thumb, if your throwing your punches properly it's very hard to be hit, when you throw your jab for instance,make sure you step in,your right hand is on your jaw,and your chin tucked in, if your jab is straight and your chin is down your shoulder should have your chin protected........same with the right hand

Comment

If you want, I can try and throw up a couple of sparring vids next time I'm given a light spar tomorrow night or Friday to show you how to step out of range and that sort of stuff

Comment

Working...
                    X