Plea for nutritional help for fat loss

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plea for nutritional help for fat loss

Hi all

I'm taking part in a white collar event for cancer research UK in 7 weeks time. I'm over weight and massively out of shape.

I've been training for the last two weeks focusing mainly on cardio and technique work, training 5 days a week. I do 2 classes laid on by the organisation, 1 hour each. I've been doing Hiit workouts ( high knees, mountain climbers, burpess). Skipping, shadow boxing and pad work on the other days.

I did a crash die at prior to training and she'd about 10 lbs before starting working out and returning to reasonable diet. I now eat 2200-2400 calories a day but for the last week have not shifted a single pound.

I've cut out processed foods, sugar (apart from natural sugars in fruits), and all the naughty stiff and my diet is largely whole food based. Breakfast is typically weetabix, while milk and strawberries, lunch is sweet potato, lean meat and greens and dinner is not dissimilar. I snack on nuts, cold cuts, fruit, rice cakes and protein shakes and take BCAAS supplements to help my recovery.

Question is I guess where am I going wrong? Why am I doing all the this training for no weight loss? I'm obviously gaining muscle mass but had hoped the fat loss would surpass the gain and I would see a drop in weight.

I want to drop at least 30lbs in 7 weeks ideally. Any help, tips, suggestions, success stories welcomed guys. Thanks.

It's normal to stall out after an initial crash. Especially in the 2nd week. I always advise people not to starve yourself because the body is built to compensate that. 30lbs in 7 weeks in not a good goal for a novice but at least you have a target. Just don't get frustrated if it comes slower than you're hoping. Once you get it off, maintaining is far easier.

Sleep is a sort of a fasting period and you can get your body to burn fat if you get in a decent morning workout. Supplementing with a protein shake for b-fast afterward helps preserve muscle. Get in a decent meal an hour or two before your 2nd workout, and have a light dinner. The 2 workout thing really goes a long way.

Diet is going to be critical. Clean foods. You want to be able to get the most out of what you're intaking. Learn what macro-nutrients are and pay attention to your fat/carb/protein intake. UP YOUR FIBER (more vegetables). No sugary drinks throughout the day. Keep snacking to a min. Don't starve yourself, but get used to being hungry. If you can't handle the feeling of hunger, you'll never win.

Are you vegetarian? Lean animal protein is a huge help. BCAA powders are near useless, IMO, in comparison to animal protein in your lunch and dinner.

Comment

Thanks for replying.

I've been tracking my macros in myfitnesspal and I'm getting a grasp of what's what. Currently in taking around 200g protein, 250g carbs, 70g fats. (Current weight 295lbs, So I have plenty there I can lose!).

I've used the bcaa supplement for weight training before and found it helps for aching and recovery. I also take whey protein to increase protein without having to eat too much more meat, meaning more calories.

When you say minimise snacking do you think I should eat less often? I'm generally eating breakfast, morning snack (protein shake) and a banana, lunch, afternoon snack (protein shake and a banana), dinner after an evening workout. Do you think I should eat less? Or maybe time my eating differently?

Appreciate the help mate.

Comment

I posted a long reply then it accidentally got deleted from a refresh.
        To summarize;
        -Good that you're watching macros.
        -Unless you're extremely tall, nearly 2,500 calories per day is far too much for someone trying to lose 4lbs per-week. You need to be in a calorie deficit that reflects your goal (though your goal is severe so maybe shoot for 20lbs).
        -Shakes are great for recovery but don't worry about extra calories from animal protein if you are keeping it reasonable and lean. It metabolizes MUCH slower than a shake, which requires so little digestion vs animal protein which must be broken down in the stomach. Stick to real protein for meals, shake when you're skipping meals or doing a post-workout recovery (so that your body doesn't start cannibalizing muscle).
        -Morning is such a great time to go light on eating because you're coming off a fast (sleep) and it's a prime time to burn fat. Even something seemingly innocent like a banana is like 30 grams of sugar so choose wisely and just stick with a protein shake if you can. I like to exercise before my morning shake because my body tends to burn fat very efficiently when I do that. I'll even skip a real b-fast and just do a shake in the morn, then a good sized lunch. Everyone has to find what works for them though.

Anyhow, one of the best things you can do is finding ways to lower calories. Like; using mustard instead of mayo, sauce, etc. Low/no calorie salad dressing. Trimming fat off of meat. Upping veg and using veg that aren't carb-heavy (peas are great, as are leafy greens, etc). Celery. Flavoring water instead of sugary drinks. Not going too far with the fruit and grains (carbs are good but people tend to have WAY too many carbs and fats to begin with).

Anyhow, I better post this before I accidentally delete it again. lol

Comment

Thanks mate. Sounds like in doing most of the right things which is good and I just need to persevere but I wanted to check now rather than go another week with no adjustments to my diet and no more loss.

Smaller breakfasts, morning training and fasting make a lot of sense so there's and adjustment I'll definitely make.

I've been finding at times due to the intense training I feel like crap and feel depleted if I eat to little. What's the best remedy for this? I usually eat some fruit.

And where do you reckon myou carb macro wants to be per day? 150g?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonwarr View Post
            Thanks mate. Sounds like in doing most of the right things which is good and I just need to persevere but I wanted to check now rather than go another week with no adjustments to my diet and no more loss.

Smaller breakfasts, morning training and fasting make a lot of sense so there's and adjustment I'll definitely make.

I've been finding at times due to the intense training I feel like crap and feel depleted if I eat to little. What's the best remedy for this? I usually eat some fruit.

And where do you reckon myou carb macro wants to be per day? 150g?
            I'd even go a little lower but just make sure you're getting them from whole sources. Don't forget; vegetables, vegetables, vegetables. They are safe to snack on when you're feeling awful (so is lean protein). Something about fiber intake seems to really help with dieting.
            With carbs, when you go too low-your body will start converting other nutrients and it's not particularly efficient at doing that.

You're going to feel like hell for a while but embrace it. The psychology of dieting is to not let the negative feelings override your goal. When you get that feeling of hunger and fatigue, remind yourself that it's the feeling of progress and shedding the fat.

Personally, I would not snack on fruit when feeling drained (normally; yes. dieting; no) because you're giving your body sugars, and taking a step back from your goal. Remember to keep an eye on the macros. Fruit is sugar. A healthy sugar, but still sugar. If you truly feel wrecked, be sure you're supplementing enough protein and consider a multi vit/mineral. Some extra protein will rarely hurt. If you sweat a lot during training, consider something like this; https://traceminerals.com/electrolyte-stamina-tablets/

Remember, your goal is pretty extreme so you have to cut your overall caloric intake, exercise twice a day, and get used to discomfort for a while. Once you get over the hump though, the rest seems easy.

Comment

What you looking to achieve, weight loss or more lean muscle, from the 30lbs in 7 weeks, that sounds like weight loss to me, cut back on the calories to achieve this fish and vegetables most evenings, grilled chicken when you get bored of fish.

Plenty of water, water water water at least 2 litres pushing 3 when you train.

I wouldn't bother with the BCAAs and the shakes if your trying to cut the weight, concentrate on the training, work your simple combos when ever you can,

Remember a lot of white collar fights are very evenly matched, no KO, and often comes down to the aggressive fighter.

Comment

Working...
              X