No announcement yet.

Lifting Weights and Boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GelfSara View Post
    The solution to your problem is to weight train more efficiently. One or two sessions per week lasting no more than 90 minutes total (and typically much less time) is all that is required to effectively train all your major muscle groups. Let me know if you want links to more information.
    90 minutes? That must be light weights. Do heavy lifting would like be 25 mins tops

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
      90 minutes? That must be light weights. Do heavy lifting would like be 25 mins tops
      I would generally suggest one use approximately 75-80% of 1RM ("one repetition maximum"--the most one can lift for a given exercise) for most sets.

While one may well be able to spend much less than 90 minutes per week in a gym--some people train very productively on 10-20 minutes per week--many people do not have access to private gyms where equipment is pre-set to one's desired specifications. For many people, a lot of the time spent in a gym involves waiting for a given piece of equipment to become available, and then adjusting it as-needed to fit desired settings.

Comment

I would generally suggest one use approximately 75-80% of 1RM ("one repetition maximum"--the most one can lift for a given exercise) for most sets.

While one may well be able to spend much less than 90 minutes per week in a gym--some people train very productively on 10-20 minutes per week--many people do not have access to private gyms where equipment is pre-set to one's desired specifications. For many people, a lot of the time spent in a gym involves waiting for a given piece of equipment to become available, and then adjusting it as-needed to fit desired settings.
        Because of a pinched nerve that wont go away, I have to keep my workouts down to a minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by mkmona04 View Post
          but that skinny/lean look is bothering me.

i am spending 2 hours a day in the boxing gym and about one hour a day lifting, so i will basically have no life.
          Your mental barrier is an inferior state of mind. Get over your flawed reasoning for lifting.

One hour lifting is too much. Anyhting over 45 minutes and you're damaging your body.

If you do decide to lift...you need to lift BEFORE your Boxing workout otherwise you lose the gains from Boxing. There is a tightness from lifting you can't shake from stretching that you need to do the Boxing workout to lose. User testimonial.

Try it out and you'll see what I mean. Furthermore, you need to harness to atoms you've gathered from lifting by going straight into a Boxing workout. Again, try it out for a bit and you'll see what I mean.

Remember, this is very advanced training.

Your lifting workout needs to change to compliment Boxing. No more super heavy lifting or even that heavy for that matter. Use more bars than dumbells. Bars are for power, bells are for sculpting.

This is all going against what yo want to achieve though which is a sculpted body for the chicks which is exactly what you need to defocus on. If you're lifting for Boxing, it's for power and stamina. Squats are great for wind and getting your mile speeds up.

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
            Your mental barrier is an inferior state of mind. Get over your flawed reasoning for lifting.

One hour lifting is too much. Anyhting over 45 minutes and you're damaging your body.

If you do decide to lift...you need to lift BEFORE your Boxing workout otherwise you lose the gains from Boxing. There is a tightness from lifting you can't shake from stretching that you need to do the Boxing workout to lose. User testimonial.

Try it out and you'll see what I mean. Furthermore, you need to harness to atoms you've gathered from lifting by going straight into a Boxing workout. Again, try it out for a bit and you'll see what I mean.

Remember, this is very advanced training.

Your lifting workout needs to change to compliment Boxing. No more super heavy lifting or even that heavy for that matter. Use more bars than dumbells. Bars are for power, bells are for sculpting.

This is all going against what yo want to achieve though which is a sculpted body for the chicks which is exactly what you need to defocus on. If you're lifting for Boxing, it's for power and stamina. Squats are great for wind and getting your mile speeds up.
            I agree. I used to overtrain when younger, doing heavy weights for 90 minutes, 2 hours. And yes I got huge, but within a few months my body was riddled with injuries that caused me to take a whole year off.

Comment

Lifting weights doesn't make you bigger. Eating more food makes you bigger. Lifting weights and boxing is pretty useless, they cancel each other out pretty much. Your focus should be training at the gym 3x per week and doing some calisthenics 2x per week. Throw in some running and you're good to go.

The only thing that lifting heavy will do for you is ruin your stamina. It doesn't make you stronger. Riddick Bowe himself said he never lifted any weights and he never had any strength problems. Anyone who tells you lifting weights will make you a better fighter is probably the same person who focuses on punching power and size. Two of the most insignificant aspects of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
                Lifting weights doesn't make you bigger. Eating more food makes you bigger. Lifting weights and boxing is pretty useless, they cancel each other out pretty much. Your focus should be training at the gym 3x per week and doing some calisthenics 2x per week. Throw in some running and you're good to go.

The only thing that lifting heavy will do for you is ruin your stamina. It doesn't make you stronger. Riddick Bowe himself said he never lifted any weights and he never had any strength problems. Anyone who tells you lifting weights will make you a better fighter is probably the same person who focuses on punching power and size. Two of the most insignificant aspects of boxing.
                Would Evander Holyfield have had an easier time with Riddick Bowe, in your opinion, had he fought him at his pre-weight training weight of around 190lbs?

Comment

Would Evander Holyfield have had an easier time with Riddick Bowe, in your opinion, had he fought him at his pre-weight training weight of around 190lbs?
                  Sounds like a leading question.

Holyfield fought Bowe at the weight he was comfortable at so no. It makes no sense for Holyfield to drop 15 lbs and fight Bowe at an uncomfortable weight.

Now let's see how you try to spin this...

Comment

Bowe tried that with Golota. Lost a ton of weight because people said he was too heavy for fight 1, and he did far worse in fight 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
                      Sounds like a leading question.

Holyfield fought Bowe at the weight he was comfortable at so no. It makes no sense for Holyfield to drop 15 lbs and fight Bowe at an uncomfortable weight.

Now let's see how you try to spin this...
                      That was Holyfields comfortable weight because he took steroids to be more muscular, and stronger. Exactly what youre saying isnt beneficial. He didnt have cardio problems either.

Comment

Working...
                      X