Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blows to head in boxing: how should it feel and what is "normal"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blows to head in boxing: how should it feel and what is "normal"?

Hi, guys. I would like to ask a question about the sensations people feel after taking knocks to the head in the ring. My background is in wrestling, but this month I decided to take up boxing, because I have always wanted to learn to strike and I also saw it as a way to gradually move towards MMA.

I had my first hour's lesson and then, the second time, only three people turned up (two more experienced guys and I), so we did sparring. Each guy had to go three rounds in the ring against the trainer, wearing a headguard.

Obviously, I received blows to my head during the three rounds and this was my first ever experience of it. The thing was that I once had a serious head injury (albeit ten years ago)... and the sensation in my head after I went home that night was the exact same as I would get in the months after I came out of hospital.

It is hard to describe, but it feels like I can physically "feel" the blood vessels (canals) inside my head. And they also seem "warm/hot" (which is why I used to love frosty, cold weather back then).

I wanted to ask the boxers on this forum: is this sensation normal? I do NOT want to quit boxing, but I seriously do not like having to relive the exact same sensations in my head I had before. Has anyone else had the same things I feel? Or boxed after a head injury earlier in life?

Lol, it's a part of boxing man. Concussions and bursted blood vessels. It comes with the territory.

As for myself. I never had that linger. I had bruises, tender spots etc etc but never that. If you're really concerned you should go see a doctor, specially if it gets worse.

Comment

When you have a history of trauma you need to get a scan of your brain. It's what you do when you enter into contact sports.

Your SECOND session and you sparred? What could you possibly be working on technique wise with no real time spent learning anything?

Secondly if you want to learn mma then go to an mma trainer. Learning to throw punches out of a boxers stance with a boxer balance is not what mma guys are taught. Any contact with kicking involved changes the balance and stance.
      In boxing 60% of your weight is up front in an mma contest your not going to get out of the way of kicks or be able to deliver any in a boxers stance.

Point being "get your head searched through".

Ray

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it very much.

It just so happened that the coach that night decided to do sparring, as the two other guys are experienced. Obviously, after approximately one hour of boxing training I was not exactly sure what to do (!), except basically keep moving forward, elbows at side, gloves in front of face, strike wherever I could see a space...

I had brain scans (two) after the injury, all was well. But I am just not happy with this feeling I am getting, as it is the EXACT same as back then... maybe it worries me more psychologically. I had no dizziness or stars, but I did have this feeling (as described above) when I went back home... I posted my description of it as best I could in case anyone else ventures into the forum and recognises it.

I know what a doctor will say: don't box!

I understand fully about the differences between normal boxing and kickboxing/MMA style. I just wanted to evolve slowly and maybe even try both. Wrestling is great, but this year I would like to try something a bit different. But the head issue might mean I am better off just sticking to grappling...

Comment

Boxed for a few years as an Amatuer

Only felt strong concussions a few times
          And that was when I really copped some heavy hits to the head

I would describe it as a light headed disoriented feeling coupled, with some throbbing sensations in your head

Id suggest seeking a good doctor and letting him/her know exactly what you are feeling
          Don't leave nothing to chance

Comment

You gotta know going in that you're gonna eat some shots that will simply ring your bell.
            Last edited by Rockin'; 01-29-2017, 09:32 PM.

Comment

if you are not used to getting hit it will take time to...its that simple. We are not gauging punching resistance here but getting hit often when punching is not allowed in an art is just adapting too. i remember getting beat up alot by older bro...pummled actually but as time went on ,i adjusted and k.od him with a body shot sendind him to quit.

point being dont worry about it,you will adjust. Its just you getting used to a different barrier one thats diffent than pure take downs and submission wrestling...etc. Some ppl get rattled more than others,you will know your toelrance if you keep at it. I was a hard chinned fighter but cut easy ,my brother was the opposite. in MMA it works being more solid chinned b/c you control different angles more and more options.

Comment

Originally posted by Sumarokov View Post
                Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it very much.

It just so happened that the coach that night decided to do sparring, as the two other guys are experienced. Obviously, after approximately one hour of boxing training I was not exactly sure what to do (!), except basically keep moving forward, elbows at side, gloves in front of face, strike wherever I could see a space...

I had brain scans (two) after the injury, all was well. But I am just not happy with this feeling I am getting, as it is the EXACT same as back then... maybe it worries me more psychologically. I had no dizziness or stars, but I did have this feeling (as described above) when I went back home... I posted my description of it as best I could in case anyone else ventures into the forum and recognises it.

I know what a doctor will say: don't box!

I understand fully about the differences between normal boxing and kickboxing/MMA style. I just wanted to evolve slowly and maybe even try both. Wrestling is great, but this year I would like to try something a bit different. But the head issue might mean I am better off just sticking to grappling...
                With these headaches, was there a pain in your neck, right where the skull and spine intersect or in that general area.........

Comment

Difficult to explain. It's something the individual has to recognize. If you feel you need to take time off the recover then do so, just don't push it, in a fight perhaps, but don't keep showing up to sparring day in and day out while you're at home with constant migraines afterwards.

Comment

Hi. In answer to the last two posts, there was no headache or migraine at all. And definitely no pain in the neck at all, including where the skull and spine intersect.

One of the above posts probably best described the general effect: "throbbing sensations in your head". But I feel it more specifically as this: if you can imagine (like in some horror film!) the blood canals moving to the outside of your brain and you can physically feel the warm blood coarsing through these canals...!

Thanks for all the replies, feedback and advice, I appreciate it very much.

Comment

Working...
                    X