No announcement yet.

How to train kids in boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to train kids in boxing

My trainer asked me if I could voluntarily take over some boxing classes when he doesn't have time, in this case, kids training.

Are there some trainers out there who can give advice?

I could easily teach boxing to adults, but kids seem kinda... challenging since
    they tend to often not pay attention and I can't pull off the same training as with adults.

So advice would be great

Boxing or muay thai?
    1-1 or group sessions?
    Group work get them on a circuit. 1-1 just tell them to pay attention. If you can keep the kids attention it's easier to teach..take it slow & remember they are kids

Comment

Originally posted by ukbox View Post
      Boxing or muay thai?
      1-1 or group sessions?
      Group work get them on a circuit. 1-1 just tell them to pay attention. If you can keep the kids attention it's easier to teach..take it slow & remember they are kids
      Sorry forgot to mention.
      I am a huge Muay Thai fan, but started boxing and kept boxing only.
      I would know a thing or two about Muay Thai ( how a correct kick, etc is performed) but since I can't perform the technique smoothly, I teach them boxing. Pure Boxing once a week is a nice variety.

Anyway:

Group Session
      Boxing only
      About 6 are 13ish, only one or two of them is good.
      The rest are just boxing for fun
      And then 5-8 kids under 10, who are PURELY just boxing for fun.

So pretty much only 1-2 kids where you can teach serious stuff

Comment

Circuit work will tire them out, build their fitness & keep them busy

Break them into groups depending on class size..either groups of similar height/size etc or groups of 4-6
        Give the older lads some responsibility to keep them on track...even if it's holding mitts & punchbags for smaller kids.
        Keep it simple, warm up, shadow box, then again with resistance bands. Simple combos on mitts & bag work on a circuit then a good cool down

Comment

Kids are like dogs, train them in groups, so they are all doing the same thing. They learn well that well.

Comment

Keep it simple

Comment

I train 4 kids right now and I was recently asked to start assisting at a local boxing gym with multiple kids. I am really looking forward to it. Here are some tips I have learned so far:

Rule#1 Treat everyone equally. This really goes for any leadership role in life, you want respect this is #1! If your a hard ass be a hard ass to everyone.

Rule#2 Set rules and disciplines and stick to them! If you tell them They have to run an extra mile for each minute they are late stick to it. Set your rules and also your pet peeves and again create a punishment for each rule broken. Boxing is a discipline so keep it that way, you dont play boxing.

Rule#3 Create a routine and stick to it! Kids especailly boys need a routine.

Rule#4 Lead by example, dont just teach do! For example, I jumprope everyday with my kids, more often than not you will have to be teaching so you wont be able to do everything but simple things like jumprope go a long way.

Rule#5 Team work, if its a class you are all a team. Teach them they are only as strong as their weakest link. When we run, we always go back for stragglers.

Rule#6 No matter how much of a hard ass you are during training, at the end of each training let them know how proud you are of them. Never let them go home sad. They are kids for crying out loud!

In summary, I prefer a break the down to build them up approach. Proabably because I was/am a Marine but kids are hella resilient man. It takes 3 weeks to form a habit, break em down for 3 weeks then watch them grow. Again kids are super resilient, kids in Africa run like 10 miles to school barefoot... Hopes this helps bro and goof luck. If you need a routine let me know where you want to start...

Comment

you must be focus on your punching techniques to improve power.remember ! better techniques always lead to a better boxer..

Comment

Working...
                X