No announcement yet.

Prospecting The Sport And Science Of Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prospecting The Sport And Science Of Boxing

Hello every, I'm new to the forum and boxing.
    I have been thinking about learning the sport of boxing. My main focus is learning how to defend myself and getting in shape. At the same time I would love to compete in the ring at some point as well.
    However, I will like a realistic outlook at what I'm potentially getting myself into.

I'm 35, 5'8" 150 no fighting experience and horribly out of shape. I do suffer from day to day tension headaches. Other than that, I'm healthy and good to go.

So I chatted it up with a man buddy of mine about getting into the sport. He said it isn't common to see a guy like myself coming into the sport with zero previous background. However, if Randy Couture can enter the UFC at 34 and win a title at 43 then anything is possible. The real question is rather how discipline and dedicated to boxing will I be. Also, he suggested that I lean more towards just learning and having fun with the sport rather than competition. Considering I get tension headaches fairly easy, boxing could lead to potential other problems.

Is what my friend say true? Or is Randy Couture's feat what's called the "exception"? Also, are tensions headache a red flag in boxing?
    Last edited by Potential boxer; 08-01-2016, 10:04 PM. Reason: Chatted it up with a friend

Realistically your not going ti be a great boxer.

I Would recommend doing it as a way to get in shape. If you enjoy that, than start taking more seriously and look to learn the technique in a more serious manner. After some time if your in shape, and feel confident, than maybe start training for a fight.

Although at 35, you nay be too old for an amateur fight. And I personally don't think anyone should go pro without 4 years minimum of hard boxing training.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
      Realistically your not going ti be a great boxer.

I Would recommend doing it as a way to get in shape. If you enjoy that, than start taking more seriously and look to learn the technique in a more serious manner. After some time if your in shape, and feel confident, than maybe start training for a fight.

Although at 35, you nay be too old for an amateur fight. And I personally don't think anyone should go pro without 4 years minimum of hard boxing training.
      Thanks for the reply. One step at a time is a good way to look it. I'm so excited. Could you recommend any boxing gym/club in the South Bay (Los Angeles) area? I ask because seems like most places around here lean more toward mma or Thai kickboxing. I checked one out this morning that leaned toward mma. The instructor was showing me some moves and taking me through several drills trying to convince me its all the same. I was a bit baffled considering karate chopping someone in the neck isn't legal in boxing.

Just as a side note, is it possible to learn how to box like Prince Naz?
      Last edited by Potential boxer; 08-02-2016, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Potential boxer View Post
        Thanks for the reply. One step at a time is a good way to look it. I'm so excited. Could you recommend any boxing gym/club in the South Bay (Los Angeles) area? I ask because seems like most places around here lean more toward mma or Thai kickboxing. I checked one out this morning that leaned toward mma. The instructor was showing me some moves and taking me through several drills trying to convince me its all the same. I was a bit baffled considering karate chopping someone in the neck isn't legal in boxing.
        I'm not from that area I have no clue, but there are far more west coast guys on this site than east coast I'm sure one of them can hook you up.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
          I'm not from that area I have no clue, but there are far more west coast guys on this site than east coast I'm sure one of them can hook you up.
          Just for reference, what should I be looking out for when I select a boxing gym/club?

Comment

Working...
          X