No announcement yet.

PEEKABOO: Rolling with the punches?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEEKABOO: Rolling with the punches?

The peekaboo is a very tight guard, so the punches literally slide off the arms, and I'm interested in learning how to roll/ride with my punches while using it. From what I've heard, it takes rounds of sparring to develop the reflexes to ride with the punch. For instance; while catching a hard fastball in baseball, you move your hand back to reduce the impact. Tyson, Patterson, and Torres claimed they did this during their careers.

I'll ask my coach on how to do this after he returns from fort mead, but I'd LOVE to get comfortable and started before he comes back in six months. Some people like Floyd Mayweather have a guard that allows them to roll with the punches, while others like Tyson and Lamotta moved in the opposite direction of impact through ways like bobbing. I'd like to try all ways and find my own that works best for me. If you guys can help me get started so I can cover more ground when he comes back, I'd love it!

Originally posted by ElDiabloLoco503 View Post
    The peekaboo is a very tight guard, so the punches literally slide off the arms, and I'm interested in learning how to roll/ride with my punches while using it. From what I've heard, it takes rounds of sparring to develop the reflexes to ride with the punch. For instance; while catching a hard fastball in baseball, you move your hand back to reduce the impact. Tyson, Patterson, and Torres claimed they did this during their careers.

I'll ask my coach on how to do this after he returns from fort mead, but I'd LOVE to get comfortable and started before he comes back in six months. Some people like Floyd Mayweather have a guard that allows them to roll with the punches, while others like Tyson and Lamotta moved in the opposite direction of impact through ways like bobbing. I'd like to try all ways and find my own that works best for me. If you guys can help me get started so I can cover more ground when he comes back, I'd love it!
    Just get in there and spar, no one can answer this for you, try anything and everything associated with the specific move you're trying to perform and find what works. That's it

Edit: and from your post you obviously study people so try out what you've learned.....you basically asked and answered your own question.

Comment

Originally posted by ElDiabloLoco503 View Post

Jake Lamotta rolled with the punches as well. It comes down to reflexes which are made in sparring. Lamotta used to spar all the time so that's how he got so good at it.

Spar as much as you can. Fighting is the best form of training for fighting.

Comment

Working...
      X