No announcement yet.

Knuckle Cartilage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knuckle Cartilage

Hey fellas, I recently started kickboxing and have at times drilled on sand (or w/e is close to it) boxing bags.

Now, my right hand's middle finger knuckle has redness and seems to be a little swollen. I still have full movement and and no pain except some mild inconvenience when I push something against it or when I am punching. I can also hear (rarely) the joint move with a crackling sound when I put my put my ear next to it and at other times I can "feel" it move from the knuckle area. It seems as though the cartilage on top has moved around or something.

Could someone please let me know what it could be and if it is something I should be worried about?
    Also, should I try going really light until w/e this this is heals?

Thank you

"Boxer's knuckle". Check the first couple pages in this section as there have been 2 or 3 other threads about it recently. I went on at-length about the issue and what to do (short answer; rest) so I won't do it again here but if you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

BTW, if it's crackling and moving, you may have a tear in the hood. I would personally rest it for 6 weeks and see a doc if it still hurts after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      "Boxer's knuckle". Check the first couple pages in this section as there have been 2 or 3 other threads about it recently. I went on at-length about the issue and what to do (short answer; rest) so I won't do it again here but if you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

BTW, if it's crackling and moving, you may have a tear in the hood. I would personally rest it for 6 weeks and see a doc if it still hurts after that.
      Thank you and I did read up on it online earlier but I wanted to just learn more about it.

I do feel a depression on top of my knuckle. I thought the cartilage had just moved to the side and I was feeling the joint underneath. I had something similar happened to me a long time ago in high school after playing "bloody knuckles" (stupid I know) and I've since had a "thicker" middle finger knuckle on my right hand than my left.

Let's say it is a partial tear, would it recover from rest? I have no pain and my movement is fine and it only hurts when I punch.

Thank you

Comment

yeah dont need surgery if its partial tear, conservative management is best way forward. Some gentle exercises might help it heal quicker, just move your finger back and forward (unfortunately theres no exciting exercises for the fingers). UNfortunately it will have to be shadow boxing for you for a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by JurorsDoctor View Post
          Thank you and I did read up on it online earlier but I wanted to just learn more about it.

I do feel a depression on top of my knuckle. I thought the cartilage had just moved to the side and I was feeling the joint underneath. I had something similar happened to me a long time ago in high school after playing "bloody knuckles" (stupid I know) and I've since had a "thicker" middle finger knuckle on my right hand than my left.

Let's say it is a partial tear, would it recover from rest? I have no pain and my movement is fine and it only hurts when I punch.

Thank you
          Fortunately, there's a plethora of information out there. Unfortunately, there's 3 unique conditions that fall under the description of "boxer's knuckle" with similar symptoms.

If there's movement in that tendon that runs over the knuckle, you may have this;
          http://www.handwristblog.com/sagitta...oxers-knuckle/

Here's some more links for you. They may help give you an idea of what you have. Don't dick around and try to strike before it's healed. Trust me, it's not like a sore muscle or another type of tendonitis where light exercise can sometimes help. It can only get worse unless you allow it to heal.

http://www.secondsout.com/ringside/t...boxers-knuckle

http://www.rearmyourselftexas.com/ha...n-subluxation/

Not sure why this one has sexy music....

Mixed feeling about this one. DO NOT do this until you've pretty much healed and are just avoiding re-injury. It still allows contact and you usually won't realize it until the next day when your hand is frozen in pain.

Comment

Rest and massage when you can. I have had my hands castes up in weird positions for not obeying the pain. My middle knuckle moved back after breaking my hand in a street fight, my coach slapped me silly. Rest it. Cartilage heals slower than bones.

Listen to Redd!

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
              Fortunately, there's a plethora of information out there. Unfortunately, there's 3 unique conditions that fall under the description of "boxer's knuckle" with similar symptoms.

If there's movement in that tendon that runs over the knuckle, you may have this;
              http://www.handwristblog.com/sagitta...oxers-knuckle/

Here's some more links for you. They may help give you an idea of what you have. Don't dick around and try to strike before it's healed. Trust me, it's not like a sore muscle or another type of tendonitis where light exercise can sometimes help. It can only get worse unless you allow it to heal.

http://www.secondsout.com/ringside/t...boxers-knuckle

http://www.rearmyourselftexas.com/ha...n-subluxation/

Not sure why this one has sexy music....

Mixed feeling about this one. DO NOT do this until you've pretty much healed and are just avoiding re-injury. It still allows contact and you usually won't realize it until the next day when your hand is frozen in pain.

Excellent video.

Comment

Working...
              X