Sparring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparring

Greetings to you all champs!

I have been boxing for a long time (mainly to stay in shape) but have not nearly sparred as much. I have had my fair share of rounds but not nearly as much as I have spent time on the bag.

My gym (used to be LA Boxing and is now UFC Gym) is geared towards profit so recently I have been able to purchase personal training sessions where I am getting exposure to mitt work, etc.

The problem I have is that people mistake me for a pro when I am on the bag or working the mitts. But I cannot translate that knowledge when I'm in the ring to meaningful sparring sessions. I usually end up sparring my coach (who is only a few years older) and I struggle like anything. It is one thing to struggle but another to be utterly confused.

I always find myself reaching (to connect) instead of being in place to land a proper shot. I am always leading with my head instead of standing behind my guard (something I never do outside sparring).

Can anyone break this down for me? I am the type of person who learns quickly provided I hear it from the right person or it is explained in a way that makes sense to me.

I am sparring later today (in a few hours). Can anyone give me something simple I can do today so as to not look, and feel, as horrible as I did two days ago?

Thanks!

Seems like your basic problem is using your jab to judge distance!
    Get your jab working up & down and use strong steps in behind it. Let your combinations go off the jab and see if your distance judgement improves.
    Also using angles to move in off the jab can help, go in off your opponents left shoulder than try the right shoulder.
    It is very hard to evaluate when I can't see your moves but I've given you some basics to consider.
    Ray

Comment

I was thinking exactly what Ray said ^

It sounds like you want to punch and not get hit back which is understandable. Work your jab a lot more and use it to gauge the distance. He can't run forever so he either stays in place or he moves and if he moves just cut off the ring until you are in position to be balanced and land full shots. Don't be afraid to come forward. If he is in range to land shots then so are you...most likely.

Comment

I know what you're talking about I'm guessing that your feet are pretty stationary when you're on the bag? Try incorporating a lot of footwork into your heavy bag exercises. Don't let yourself be at a comfortable distance at all times, keep moving. It's unpleasant and exhausting but it'll get you ready for sparring.

Comment

throw some bombs

Comment

but nah jokes aside, i would say maybe you are overthinking what you are doing in there. Just go in there and throw more shots then you would normally, experiment with it for a session, the combos you do on the mitts and the bag may come out naturally when you arent thinking so much. Might be a dent on your pride but would think the best thing would be just to ask your coach what you are doing wrong, why is he finding it easy against you etc and just keep sparring as much as you can.

Comment

Thank you, gentlemen, especially Ray Corso. I sparred Wednesday and did a little better; could have been a lot better if I was in better shape. I was away from the gym for 6 months.

One mistake I always make is that the moment my sparring partner throws punches, whether they land or I block them, I tend to bounce back (take a step back). Given that he is taller, it puts me out of range to counter whereas he needs half a step to continue being on the offensive. I tried punching with him and noticed better results. I also tried my level best not to step straight back in the face of punches coming at me.

Comment

Originally posted by afbox720 View Post
                Greetings to you all champs!

I have been boxing for a long time (mainly to stay in shape) but have not nearly sparred as much. I have had my fair share of rounds but not nearly as much as I have spent time on the bag.

My gym (used to be LA Boxing and is now UFC Gym) is geared towards profit so recently I have been able to purchase personal training sessions where I am getting exposure to mitt work, etc.

The problem I have is that people mistake me for a pro when I am on the bag or working the mitts. But I cannot translate that knowledge when I'm in the ring to meaningful sparring sessions. I usually end up sparring my coach (who is only a few years older) and I struggle like anything. It is one thing to struggle but another to be utterly confused.

I always find myself reaching (to connect) instead of being in place to land a proper shot. I am always leading with my head instead of standing behind my guard (something I never do outside sparring).

Can anyone break this down for me? I am the type of person who learns quickly provided I hear it from the right person or it is explained in a way that makes sense to me.

I am sparring later today (in a few hours). Can anyone give me something simple I can do today so as to not look, and feel, as horrible as I did two days ago?

Thanks!
                I Have to agree with Foxx as usual. Sounds like bad foot placement. & because I train out of a UFC gym I know that a stationary bag is part of the problem because they use those 8ft tall 200lb bags there. They are terrible for foot work and placement, they are more for Muay Thai and kickboxing. Thats why (most) MMArtist have such bad footwork but its understandable because they kick. Anyways, if I were you, Id go on Craigslist and get like a 60lb bag and hang it high (to about your belly button) in the center of your garage or something and go to work, and practice moving in & out, and round about. Also when you are working mitts, practice stepping in, a good mitt guy should keep his legs in a fighting stance not to squared up.

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                I know what you're talking about I'm guessing that your feet are pretty stationary when you're on the bag? Try incorporating a lot of footwork into your heavy bag exercises. Don't let yourself be at a comfortable distance at all times, keep moving. It's unpleasant and exhausting but it'll get you ready for sparring.
                You beat me to it lol! I knew once I scrolled down and seen you posted you wouldve had the answer... lol

Comment

Working...
                X