HELP - Under Armour Intern Designing a Boxing Shoe Concept

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP - Under Armour Intern Designing a Boxing Shoe Concept

Hello all Boxers,

I am a footwear design Intern at Under Armour in Baltimore and for my intern project, I am doing a conceptual design for a boxing shoe. I have done research online, by reading and watching fights on youtube. I feel like i have gathered some information but i also wanted to hear first hand what improvements you, the user, would like to see in boxing footwear.

I would love to be able to start an intense discussion on boxing performance footwear and this is the place to do it. Send any complaints about your current footwear and how you think it could potentially be improved upon. Anything you feel that could be beneficial in boxing footwear, post it here. We will work together on this! I'm really excited to get something started so that hopefully the larger brands will begin to take notice of such an incredibly beautiful sport that is boxing.

Send me observations, performance needs, and experiences you have endured with boxing footwear, good or bad.

Thank you all in advance for all the help!
    (I would like to also note that this is a purely conceptual project and isn't something that UA will put into market)

The most common complaint I hear is that feet can tend to slide around too much on the inside of the shoe. I used to get a lot of blisters using Everlast and Nike brands. I use a lot of footwork, so pivoting and quick pushes of the feet can feel really uncomfortable if not using a conforming shoe.

Comment

They need wheels in the sole like heelies. Miny wings on the ankles like Hermes.
      Fluorescent thick laces.
      Air bubbles, they've got to have air bubbles and pumps on the tongue.
      Electric lightening bolts as the logo.
      A hidden glove & spring, positioned under the laces as a sucker punch option.
      Mini speakers built in for when you throw a good punch...your shoe will play a theme tune of your choice something like the vintage batman song

Build that & you're onto a winner

Comment

Originally posted by ukbox View Post
        They need wheels in the sole like heelies. Miny wings on the ankles like Hermes.
        Fluorescent thick laces.
        Air bubbles, they've got to have air bubbles and pumps on the tongue.
        Electric lightening bolts as the logo.
        A hidden glove & spring, positioned under the laces as a sucker punch option.
        Mini speakers built in for when you throw a good punch...your shoe will play a theme tune of your choice something like the vintage batman song

Build that & you're onto a winner

Comment

Traditional boxing boots are too flat with no ergonomic contures. Most trainers don't offer enough direct response against the ground (too much cushioning). Something that offers the lateral support of a modern trainer but connects you to the floor and gives the ankle support of a boxing boot would be ideal.

Well ventilated leather or synth tends to be more supportive, laterally. I love how mesh breathes but my feet roll too much in my mesh boxing shoes and trainers.

Comment

Honestly the boxing shoes out today are pretty damn good, my last pair was a pair of adidas mid tops that I absolutely loved that bought in Brooklyn, they were expensive but they were incredibly comfortable.

The only real difference IMO between them anymore is the quality of the stitching and the quality of the sole. When I was boxing hardcore I ripped through boxing shoes quick.

Because you drive your foot into the ground and turn it over and over on a daily basis, you literally drive a hole right through the bottom of the shoe near where the front ball of your feet is.

I dunno if it's been done before, but I know some skateboard sneakers started using Kevlar to help them last, I don't know if that worked or not, or if it can work for boxing sneakers, but for the way I train the area near the big toe is really the only problem area.

Comment

Let's keep this discussion going. Is anyone willing to send me pics of their worn out fencing shoes? I would like to examine the areas of wear and figure out ways to improve materials/material application.

How does everyone feel about low-top boxing shoes compared to high-top boxing shoes? Which do you prefer in competition? Does anyone wear a separate pair of shoes to train in and another pair for competition? Let me know!

Comment

Originally posted by MP_UA View Post
                Let's keep this discussion going. Is anyone willing to send me pics of their worn out fencing shoes? I would like to examine the areas of wear and figure out ways to improve materials/material application.

How does everyone feel about low-top boxing shoes compared to high-top boxing shoes? Which do you prefer in competition? Does anyone wear a separate pair of shoes to train in and another pair for competition? Let me know!
                I got a couple beat up pairs sitting round somewhere I'll post for you later. the front of them is all duck taped up though because there is holes in them I can it off I guess.

I strictly wear low top, high top takes too long to lace up. I really never understood the benefit of them besides the look.

Comment

Bringing this back,
                  Do you guys use socks with your shoes? I have heard yes and no on this matter and would like to hear the pros and cons.

Comment

Originally posted by MP_UA View Post
                    Bringing this back,
                    Do you guys use socks with your shoes? I have heard yes and no on this matter and would like to hear the pros and cons.
                    I like to use socks when i box, actually the rules dictated that you have to use socks.
                    Even when i train i use socks.

Comment

Working...
                    X