Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Putting on muscle to enhance power is for idiots?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting on muscle to enhance power is for idiots?

Look above at how skinny his legs are and yet he is the highest jumper in the world.

You can put on MASSIVE amounts of strength and power with 0 or next to 0 muscle growth!

It may be slightly better to put on size too, but the massive drain on cardio for a small increase in power is what makes it STUPID!

Whats worse is many who muscle up dont even get much stronger either only bigger, so its not liek they increase strength to optimal levels without growth and then put on more size to get even further results, no they put on alot of size and only make a little increase in size and power.

Why are so many people so ******ed when it comes to sports?

Why is bodybuilding/sculpting so infectious in performance sports?

I don't really agree with most of your threads, but ya I do agree with this...

Its all in the hips

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmc View Post
      I don't really agree with most of your threads, but ya I do agree with this...

Its all in the hips
      hIPS ARE MOST IMPORTANT BY FAR

But its legs too, they add a significant whack of power

Lats help to add force and transmit it apparently I dont see hwo they transmit it and I dont see why they build such big backs, but it definitely adds a kick

Midsection transmits and amplifies force, it doesnt add force directly
      Last edited by AlexKid; 05-21-2016, 04:56 PM.

Comment

I'd rather say aby core, not just hips.

Comment

Jumping is all about being strong in relation to your bodyweight. That guy weighs very little weight and is probably very genetically gifted when it comes to jumping.

To say that putting on muscle doesn't enhance much power is just blatantly wrong and ignorant. I've weighed 60KG, 80KG and I'm currently closing in on 100KG. The difference in pure power is ridiculous. The heavy bag goes from heavy to feeling like a feather. We have weight classes in boxing for a reason. Pointing out someone with ridiculous genetics and saying that everyone else is the same is just wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by motivational View Post
            Jumping is all about being strong in relation to your bodyweight. That guy weighs very little weight and is probably very genetically gifted when it comes to jumping.

To say that putting on muscle doesn't enhance much power is just blatantly wrong and ignorant. I've weighed 60KG, 80KG and I'm currently closing in on 100KG. The difference in pure power is ridiculous. The heavy bag goes from heavy to feeling like a feather. We have weight classes in boxing for a reason. Pointing out someone with ridiculous genetics and saying that everyone else is the same is just wrong.
            The actual weight adds power but not the muscle, whether its fat or muscle you put on so long as your speed doesn't decrease too much your power will increase alot, but fat doesn't hurt cardio as much as bodybuilding muscle so you may as well of ate more kfc and you would have gotten better results.

If you were strength training properly, you neednt put on much muscle at all and your strength speed and power and later endurance would all increase.

Maybe not as much as putting on a ton of weight as well, but you shouldnt do that unless you are already a natural heavyweight, and then its individually specific as to whether you should add more weight to be more effective. Because it will hurt cardio, and thats more important than power usually in boxing.
            Last edited by AlexKid; 05-25-2016, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
              The actual weight adds power but not the muscle, whether its fat or muscle you put on so long as your speed doesn't decrease too much your power will increase alot, but fat doesn't hurt cardio as much as bodybuilding muscle so you may as well of ate more kfc and you would have gotten better results.

If you were strength training properly, you neednt put on much muscle at all and your strength speed and power and later endurance would all increase.

Maybe not as much as putting on a ton of weight as well, but you shouldnt do that unless you are already a natural heavyweight, and then its individually specific as to whether you should add more weight to be more effective. Because it will hurt cardio, and thats more important than power usually in boxing.
              If I was focusing only on boxing you would be correct, however I only do boxing as a part time hobby. I'm far more focused on the gym and lifting than I am about boxing.

I tried to whole strength training thing, when I first started the gym I didn't have a great diet and I stayed at 70KG for almost four months because I always ate enough food for a 70KG man. My strength kept going up and up but it eventually plateaud on about the second month and I wasted two months of my time and achieved absolutely nothing in the gym besides some fitness gains. Wouldn't Butterbean be one of the hardest punchers in the world by your logic? He's carrying twice the weight of Mike Tyson. He's also 49 years old so he's been training for 30+ years and weighs 200KG. Just something to think about

Comment

Agree and disagree. I don't think a boxer should be worried about having too much muscle, but they should be worried about having lean muscle. Good strong lean muscles in the shoulders,hips and legs are what I think is important.

Comment

Originally posted by MelvinWin View Post
                  Agree and disagree. I don't think a boxer should be worried about having too much muscle, but they should be worried about having lean muscle. Good strong lean muscles in the shoulders,hips and legs are what I think is important.
                  Yeah I agree. The heavyweight fighters from pre 1980s era were really good at this. Since the 80s you see big bulky bodybuilder-like physiques. Probably why heavyweights are **** now days.

Comment

Originally posted by motivational View Post
                    If I was focusing only on boxing you would be correct, however I only do boxing as a part time hobby. I'm far more focused on the gym and lifting than I am about boxing.

I tried to whole strength training thing, when I first started the gym I didn't have a great diet and I stayed at 70KG for almost four months because I always ate enough food for a 70KG man. My strength kept going up and up but it eventually plateaud on about the second month and I wasted two months of my time and achieved absolutely nothing in the gym besides some fitness gains. Wouldn't Butterbean be one of the hardest punchers in the world by your logic? He's carrying twice the weight of Mike Tyson. He's also 49 years old so he's been training for 30+ years and weighs 200KG. Just something to think about
                    He is bloody powerful!

Hes not as fast as Tyson despite weighing alot more, speed is twice as important for power as weight. (Butterbean isnt slow either for punch speed esp considering how much weight he has to transfer)

Tyson is also alot better as a boxer, so he appears more powerful than he is, because hes accurate with great timing, heaps of speed, as well as heaps of power, he can also catch up to his opponents, butterbean many times can get near to them.

I think if their punches were measured on a machine theyd be pretty close
                    Last edited by AlexKid; 05-25-2016, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X