No announcement yet.

Why did Mike Tyson do...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did Mike Tyson do...

I can't post the URL because of my lack of posts, but in Mike Tyson's segment in Pier's Morgan on CNN, he started swaying in a high guard the same way he did in his fights.

I've seen this habit in some of his spars and fights and I'd like to put this into my style. I like his habit of getting into a high guard before he steps off.

PS: The Peekaboo kills my energy. I run 30 miles a week and I still gas at round 3. Any tips for energy conservation? I don't want to be like Connor McGregor and say "I was inefficient with my energy" when I get my ass whooped.

Are you talking about something other than peek-a-boo?
    If you want to learn a highly efficient high-guard, watch Winky Wright.

Comment

Tyson used a high guard and lots of head movement because he was so much shorter than the average HW. Sorta how Manny did as he moved up in weight. Personally I dont like it and wouldnt teach it unless a fighter has a significant height/reach disparity for their respective division. Unless you have super long arms like Winky Wright, and wear your cup/trunks up to your *******, a high guard leaves your midsection vunerable and impairs pereferral (i think thats how you spell it) vision. I always tell people, work with what God gave you, dont try to copy someone else that you just physically cant be so only use a high guard if it suits you, not because Mike Tyson did it.

But as for gassing out, Im an avid distance runner, most distance runners as myself are paced. Paced runs and jogs are needed for longevity but dont do anything for you when fighting in spurts or if your opponent can work you out of your comfort zone, you cant just stop and say hey can we slow it down, lol! I would suggest mixing up your paced distance runs with days where you just sprint, I personally hate the treadmill but put the treadmill at a very high rate of speed and sprint out 3 mins at a time, take a minute break, do some boxing related exercise, than sprint another 3 mins, take another minute break and do another exercise etc... Id at least spring 4-6rds. When you do your long distance runs, make sure you are throwing punches, if your arms get tired of swinging, just keep them up, in a guard. If thats to easy for you, I bought some wrist weights by everlast and I love them and they can also be used for ankle weights which I also highy suggest using them as too when you jump rope. And lastly, please tell me you jump rope, I find it amusing when I hear boxing or UFC fighters say jumping rope is old school and useless.

Hope this helps brother!

Comment

The peek-a-boo style is very taxing to use. Slipping is not as economical and efficient as regular boxing head movement, plus the springs and twists use up a lot of energy.

You really have to be in good shape to fight like that. As Boxfan83 suggested try to mix in some sprint work with your long distance cardio. That might help.

Comment

Working...
        X