No announcement yet.

YouTube channel and first fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YouTube channel and first fight

Hi guys, just wanted to say I've made a new YouTube channel (ToxicBoxing101, great name I know) to help me and hopefully others progress through their boxing careers. It also has my first fight on it. If people would be kind enough to critique it, that would be a huge help. I've now had four fights (including skills bout) but only have the video to my first fight and skills bout. From watching it, I believe I have a few bad habits to get rid of (like lowering my head when throwing the right hand) and also could do with taking a half step back to take advantage of my long reach. What do you think? Also any subs and likes on my channel would be hugely appreciated by the way. Thanks.

YouTube channel (check out the trailer) - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIY...vhs8w/featured

First fight - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuBJby5jkPc

you are a good boxer if thats you in the red... i'd just say try to mix the jab up to the body and head and head and body and you can be really good teeing off on combinations setting things up that way (Teddy Atlas: you want to eat?! you gotta set the table first!)

other than that, hard work day in and day out + listening to coaches + learning from sparring more experiences guys. Salute to you!

Comment

Originally posted by sbeatz View Post
      you are a good boxer if thats you in the red... i'd just say try to mix the jab up to the body and head and head and body and you can be really good teeing off on combinations setting things up that way (Teddy Atlas: you want to eat?! you gotta set the table first!)

other than that, hard work day in and day out + listening to coaches + learning from sparring more experiences guys. Salute to you!
      Thanks for the reply. Yea I would say that's a good shout. Especially because of my range my jab needs to be really good so mixing it up more would give me more opportunities and keep him off. Want to try and get my jab a little stronger/snappier as well to stop him coming inside. Thanks for the advice

Comment

Decent scrap. Looks like you drop your left hand a little low when your throw your right which is pretty much what everyone does when starting out. I know when I started that was one of the things we focused on was keeping it glued up top when I threw the right hand. Man you were right hand happy in this fight, i'd say work off that jab a bit more, seems you were all too happy to give away your height advantage and just jump in there. Squaring up when throwing punches too. These are all things you're gonna work on and tighten up anyway, but just stuff I noticed. Good work man, I wish you the best.

Comment

If that was indeed your first bout than I would say that you did excellent, Whoever is bringing you up is doing a good job.

Man you got that height on him, why stand there and trade with him? Even more so, why give up that height by just walking in on him in to his range when you could be reddening up his face with that long stick/jab of yours out of the way of everything. The Square Circle, walk around him with your jab, either left or right. Don't walk a straight line right in to his range.

When you throw your right hand you are dive bombing your face way to the side, the right hands are nice enough but you leave yourself out of position to dig anything off of it. I know that you can get caught with a counter right and that's why you get out of the way like that. Stand your ground and let that right hand go man, let your eyes protect you as it jolts towards your opponent. If you did this you might realize that you could maybe turn over a hook at that point, because you were in position to do so.

You gotta learn how to use that stick in tandum with your legs. Why always walk right to your man when you have such a distinctive reach advantage? Use that ring, use those legs and learn to work that stick with it all.

Nice job over all............
          Last edited by Rockin'; 01-01-2016, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
            If that was indeed your first bout than I would say that you did excellent, Whoever is bringing you up is doing a good job.

Man you got that height on him, why stand there and trade with him? Even more so, why give up that height by just walking in on him in to his range when you could be reddening up his face with that long stick/jab of yours out of the way of everything. The Square Circle, walk around him with your jab, either left or right. Don't walk a straight line right in to his range.

When you throw your right hand you are dive bombing your face way to the side, the right hands are nice enough but you leave yourself out of position to dig anything off of it. I know that you can get caught with a counter right and that's why you get out of the way like that. Stand your ground and let that right hand go man, let your eyes protect you as it jolts towards your opponent. If you did this you might realize that you could maybe turn over a hook at that point, because you were in position to do so.

You gotta learn how to use that stick in tandum with your legs. Why always walk right to your man when you have such a distinctive reach advantage? Use that ring, use those legs and learn to work that stick with it all.

Nice job over all............
            Thanks for the advice. A few people have said about giving up my height and reach advantage to easily now. I'm really gonna start working on it in sparring over the next few weeks. Like you say that will come if i use my jab with my legs as well to keep the distance and find my range.

With the moving my head when throwing the right. I believe this has become a bad habit from when i first started to spar. I've been working with my coach to take punches on the gloves more and/or step off creating angles, rather than rolling (which i seem to do badly when it comes into fights/spars) which puts my head in a bad position and i can't follow up like you say. I may start to spar where i just defend and create angles as well now, to hopefully get it out of my system.

Thanks for the superb advice btw. Much appreciated

Comment

You are tall.

Don't drop your left, when you throw your straight right.
              More body work
              Back out at angles.

You do have skills!

Keep developing them!

Comment

I'll give some feedback later after I've had a chance to see the fight

Comment

First off good fight I enjoyed watching it.

You were in against a guy with little defense to speak of. He had a decent beard though. I felt the ko was there for you if you threw in a 3 to the rib cage after the 1,2. Sometimes the right hand ain't enough you gotta give an angle to a guy or he'll eat your shots like skittles. Same with changing levels. In the 3rd, leading up to the 8 count you had a beautiful idea and took advantage of your opponent's sloppy breaking..scored a right hook I really enjoyed to see. You see how throwing in a different angle on him completely discombobulated him? He was taking your shots fairly well up until then.

The timing of your shots I can't complain about. I liked how he would begin to throw, but you would beat him to the punch and disrupt his rhythm. Your timing is probably your best asset.

I do feel a bit more power could be eked out of your shots by utilizing your long frame to maximum effect. You did have forward momentum in some of your setups, but you stepped perhaps a lil too far and didn't allow your arm to lengthen enough with some of your shots. You should use the full length of those limbs. There's a sweet spot where your arm is lengthened and your frame is set..and your step has given you forward momentum and weight transference into your punch. That's just a tweak you can work on to squeeze out more power in your shots.

Also suggest lengthening your left hook. Like a wider arc hook. Gives you more range to play with. The left hook was sparsely used but yeah in the future. A guy like that that you were in with would have been completely unhinged by a 3 (up top), 2, and 3 (to the ribcage). Wider arc hooks would allow you to do that whole combo from range.

Lastly...when you go to the body, I notice sometimes you bend too far at the waist. You should keep your frame ..use your legs to get the level you want... then the changing of levels with your legs from low to high adds power to your sequence. One combo I could see working for you is a 2 to the gut... then crank that hook upstairs. Then pethaps a follow up right? This level changing only works if you use your legs and keep your frame.

As the others said..good job. You have talent.
                  Last edited by Syf; 01-01-2016, 09:45 PM.

Comment

checking it out now

Comment

Working...
                    X