Tips for a boxing beginner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for a boxing beginner

Hello everyone

This is my first post as I am new to this forum and relatively new to boxing so please bare with me.

I am a 20 year old from Australia. Six foot and 187 pounds. I have been interested in boxing for many years and throughout my childhood played soccer and did weight training for a couple years on and off. I recently have fallen in love with the art of boxing and want to start training seriously. I understand that I am a little late but I am motivated to train as hard as I have to, to catch up with the rest. I hope to start amateur boxing within a year or two and will see how far I can go from there.

I am physically and mentally fit and run twice a day and skip rope almost everyday.

In my past I have had a habit of being at the wrong place at the wrong time and like the most of us and have had to fight to defend myself. I have given and taken a fair share of punches but thankfully have never had any serious injuries. I do understand that fighting on the street is no way as technical as in the ring.

I am joining a boxing club today and would like to hear as many tips as you guys can give me. Should I consider weight training again to improve my strength? I am also looking to purchase a pair of gloves and a heavy bag to train at home when I am away from the gym. I think I might go for a pair of 16oz gloves and a 100 pound bag.

Any advice is welcome, I am looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Thanks!

Denzel

when ever somebody tries to punch you in your face you should move your face. The first one is always complimentary..... and you are welcome....

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      when ever somebody tries to punch you in your face you should move your face. The first one is always complimentary..... and you are welcome....
      My main focus when training is head movement/ducking and weaving. I think too many people focus on attacking rather than defending when they first start.

So do you think the 100 pound bag and 16oz gloves are appropriate for my size and weight?

Comment

16oz gloves IMO are good for the bag because it's better for the wrists and knuckles, especially if you're a beginner.

20 years is not too old unless you're planning to be the next Mayweather, I started when I was 24. It's all about determination and will.

I wouldn't recommend weight training at this point, you should focus on your boxing for a start. Core stability exercises and calisthenics are better. Add sprinting to your running routine.

Comment

Working...
        X