No announcement yet.

Jabbing a heavy bag - awkward

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jabbing a heavy bag - awkward

Does anyone find jabbing a heay bag quite awkward? All my other punches feel great but the jab can feel quite powerless on the heavy bag.

I only got my bag today, maybe i need to strengthen my jab.

At the start I did. Try a few rounds on the bag just focusing on the jab and not any other punch.

Comment

Every one believes that the jabs power is generated from the arm only, this is untrue.

The power will come with proper mechanics with the arm. Furtermore, to get more power in it simply be pushing off of your back leg. You know how you step forward/45 degree angle with each jab or atleast alot of them, thats all that you have to do. Push off fast and hard and it will improve. The jab will become like a battering ram. With the leg not behind it, following through with the punch, the best that your jab will be is a hard arm punch.

Rockin'

Comment

The jab is mostly used to the head, which is usually smaller than a heavy bag (except in the case of JCC). You won't move the bag much unless you are a bigger fighter. Noone uses a jab for KO power, but rather as a set-up, so it doesn't need to be so strong as the other punches. Just needs timing and targeting mainly. Practice the jab by itself on the double-ended bag, then use it with combinations on the heavy bag.

Comment

i think u need ta work on ur jab than,caus ei dont feel awkward at all jabbing a bag and i never did. Usually when people first start out tho their jab is nothing special,it'll come w/ time.

Comment

the secret is in the leg work. that, and total body power.

and btw, power doesn't come from your arms. your arms just transfer the force into the target.

Comment

If the jab is high priority...

I would work on the double ended bags using the jab only. After week or more Slowly one two-three punch combos.
              Then work on the heavy bag using jab only and add the combos.

If it still feels uncomfortable after a month or 2 months i would drop it and develop something else.

Comment

My jab has always been quite devastating only because I don't use my fists so much but I use my shoulder. I try to picture my jab going through the bag rather than just hitting the bag. Also, I make sure I use that mili-second when my foot is set on the ground and pop the jab. So it should never feel awkward as long as you do it correctly.

Comment

Working...
                X