No announcement yet.

What gloves to use for training?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gloves to use for training?

I hit the bag with 16 oz and do everything else with 14 oz, including sparring, mitt work and even the double end bag.

Some say using big gloves hinders your form? I personally like the protection. I can understand why lighter gloves would be better in terms of bettering technique, especially on the pads.

What do you guys think is best, any pro examples?

16 oz for everything.

Comment

Depends on your size it's not necessarily about the difference in weight. In the grand scheme of things, the extra ounces don't necessarily hinder your ability all that significantly, but they do offer more protection to what ever is at the opposite end of the punch. It's all based on the physics of impact more so than what's weighing you down. An extra two oz.'s isn't going to determine whether you can knock another round out or not...

....That being said, the glove compartments have a lot more to do with the size of the hands nowadays, as opposed to how much cushion there is. Of course there will be extra when going up in size of the glove, but it's much more relative than it used to.

Of course this isn't the case with every style of glove. SOME sparring gloves tend to be a lot more vanilla with the hand compartment sizes as opposed to the bag gloves. But more often than not, they still change.

For example;

12 oz. = S
      14 oz. = M
      16 oz. = L

Of course it will vary depending on the manufacturer.

But, regardless, I still make ALL my fighters 140 and above wear 16 oz. for sparring. Double wrap if they need, just make their hands fit somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
        Depends on your size it's not necessarily about the difference in weight. In the grand scheme of things, the extra ounces don't necessarily hinder your ability all that significantly, but they do offer more protection to what ever is at the opposite end of the punch. It's all based on the physics of impact more so than what's weighing you down. An extra two oz.'s isn't going to determine whether you can knock another round out or not...

....That being said, the glove compartments have a lot more to do with the size of the hands nowadays, as opposed to how much cushion there is. Of course there will be extra when going up in size of the glove, but it's much more relative than it used to.

Of course this isn't the case with every style of glove. SOME sparring gloves tend to be a lot more vanilla with the hand compartment sizes as opposed to the bag gloves. But more often than not, they still change.

For example;

12 oz. = S
        14 oz. = M
        16 oz. = L

Of course it will vary depending on the manufacturer.

But, regardless, I still make ALL my fighters 140 and above wear 16 oz. for sparring. Double wrap if they need, just make their hands fit somehow.
        Okay. Thanks for the feedback. What do your fighters wear for hitting the bag?

Comment

Originally posted by Bozbay View Post
          Okay. Thanks for the feedback. What do your fighters wear for hitting the bag?
          That's when it's dependent on their size. Basically, whatever gloves fit comfortably. You should size bag gloves by how far the tips of your fingers go at the end portion of the hand compartment.

The anatomy of the hand is both delicate and very different from everyone else. Some folks have more narrow hands, some have more blocky, some have small hands but long fingers. Different gloves favor different people.

Comment

Working...
          X