No announcement yet.

"Come with the punch" - Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Come with the punch" - Tyson

When Tyson says come with the punch is he talking merely about proper hip rotation and weight transfer from foot to foot, or does he mean an EXTRA shift of bodyweight by slightly leaning in the direction of the punch to add power on top of the normal mechanics?

I noticed Tyson tries to punch through the target more so than any other boxer ive ever seen, its like he digs too deep and risks loosing power, but maybe hes doing something more advanced than usual?

This is actually a really good question. I think it's mostly about shifting your body weight from one foot to the other then moving your body into the hook. My coach describes it as "falling into the hook." Don't want to do it too much though else you risk falling into a mean uppercut

Comment

Tyson always push himself a little to opponent with his back leg whilst rotating hips when using the back punch. You can try it , adds massive amount of power but i'm feeling the balance problems when using this method. But it's me , maybe you'll not have this problem while using this.

Comment

It's mainly for the right cross, as demonstrated, it takes you off the center so the opponent has a harder time to counter as well as provide defense with the right arm. You don't want to shift all of your weight onto the left foot because you will be off balance. You simply want to shift your weight forward. It also has to do with body measurements, Tyson has shorter arms so it suits his style and he doesn't have to move his body weight as far. That's the only style he knows so that's most likely the only style he can teach in a couple of minutes successfully.

Comment

.............."I noticed Tyson tries to punch through the target more so than any other boxer ive ever seen, its like he digs too deep and risks loosing power, but maybe hes doing something more advanced than usual"?
          No not more advanced just the right way!

Any good trainer teaches you to "punch through" your target for more impact. Joe Louis was great at it, just watch Louis vs Schmeling 2 when Joe
          digs into Max's midsection.
          Two main objectives for punching through is you learn a better sense of distance as to "your" reach and then your in position for combo punching too.

I've been searching for "something new" in boxing since I joined this forum
          and so far nothing!
          Other than pitty patter pad work which is an eye/hand exercise it has little use in the fight because I've never seen it used in a fight
          The traditional use of working underneath your last shot and rolling back with the opposite hand does evolve in fights but the pitty patter seems to be a
          "promo toy" that fellows like Mayweather like to show.

Ray

Comment

I agree Ray. I hate this patty cake nonsense that has become so common lately. My coach always teaches me to punch through the target.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              Other than pitty patter pad work which is an eye/hand exercise it has little use in the fight because I've never seen it used in a fight.
              You've never seen Mayweather use elements from his pad work in fights? The head movement and countershots are almost identical.

Also it should be noted that when Floyd hits the heavy bag he doesn't just "pitter patter." Pads and bags are different training tools used for different purposes.

Comment

Pitter patter BS is all in sequences so NO I've never seen Mayweather do those sequences. I've seen him "rool off" (slip) and throw one counter if thats what your mistaken for the multiple nonsense of "pitter patter look at me". That stuff is for media day!!
                Its a tuning proceedure, its an eye/hand drill but its not anything thats duplicated in the fight. We work speed bags drills too but no one is doing the "three stoogies combo" in a real fight!

..........."Pads and bags are different training tools used for different purposes"............Really, I didn't know that thanks for the enlightenment!

Ray

Comment

Just as a couple of examples:

1. During his pad work Floyd practices blocking body shots then immediately countering with an uppercut. Used in a real fight many times, see him versus Arturo Gatti for instance.

2. During his pad work Floyd practices pulling back from a jab then immediately countering with a right hand. Used in a real fight many times, see him versus Maidana or JMM for instance.

Comment

I'm with Ray here. Scripted sequences aren't much of anything but show. If you are just getting into boxing then yeah it can be used to teach how to react in a situation but if you're at the pro level it's more for show. Pretty sure every fighter out there wishes his opponent let him know what punch was going to be coming.

Comment

Working...
                    X