No announcement yet.

Bare fist punching

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speed bag & bare hands

MicksTr3 is right. Always wrap up, or at least wear protective gloves. But you could do some speed bag work, or maybe light Double End with bare fists ocassionally. But even then it is wise to at least wear gloves.

Comment

I used to hit my bag bare-fisted. All it did was cut the **** out of my knuckles. It never hurt my hands to bad, structurally, but man were they in pain from all the cuts, and stuff. Don't do it, it's not worth it.

To those saying boxing is the best for a street fight, you couldn't possibly be more wrong. Someone who knows how to take you down, and hurt you on the ground is much more likely to win a street fight, considering so much of the fighting happens on the ground, anyhow. Unless you have super quick reflexes, and awesome takedown defense (see: Crocop v Coleman) you're ****ed if you don't know any ground work and the other guy does.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunna
        if the monks had fists like steel, dont you think we would be paying HBO to watch them fight the likes RJJ, MAyweather, DLH or HOPKINS.
        I dont know why monks punch the ground, it doesnt have any long-term beneits for them, like they dont fight or anything.
        Punching a bag and sparing is better for your fist.

Well because not every culture is built on money and fame.

Back in highschool I knew this martial artist, he would always be raidly hitting things, while he was talking, doing work, he'd hit the desk or the wall, anything hard. He said the idea behind it was that it creates very tiny fractures in the knuckles and calcium builds up and strengthens making the knuckles as hard as a rock. I'm just afraid of doing it improperly and injuring myself, but it worked for him, that guy had one hell of a strong fist.

Comment

Originally posted by JKD_Z28
          Well because not every culture is built on money and fame.

Back in highschool I knew this martial artist, he would always be raidly hitting things, while he was talking, doing work, he'd hit the desk or the wall, anything hard. He said the idea behind it was that it creates very tiny fractures in the knuckles and calcium builds up and strengthens making the knuckles as hard as a rock. I'm just afraid of doing it improperly and injuring myself, but it worked for him, that guy had one hell of a strong fist.
          That's true. Just make sure to drink your milk so that calcium can work effectively.

Comment

Whenever I see some dummy come into the gym and start punching the bag unwrapped & ungloved, trying to show everybody what he's got, my next thought is always, "Here comes idiot boy, & his complete lack of any real skill" (approximately).

I am more impressed with a guy who comes in and knows how to wrap up and warm up, before he ever gets around to touching the bag.

FWIW, if you have any kind of punching power at all, your knucks are going to get calcium deposits from punching with both gloves & wraps on.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboxer
              I'll take a strong fist over a strong finger any day.
              haahha karma+ for u

Comment

When train I always either wrap hands or wear bag gloves. But after fracturing that fifth metacarpal in a street fight, I include some hadn conditioning a few times per week. It is the same repetitive hand striking I did as a teen when I was heavy into eastern martial arts. I don't see that it does any harm if done properly and if you are comtemplating any MMA then it is an absolute must.

Comment

Bare fist practice

If you would like to strengthen your fist:

There are three different wrist stretches that I do every day.
                  1)Arm out in front of you keep it straight pull finger tips towards the ground.
                  2)Palm facing out (like motioning stop) push fingers back towards you
                  3)Twist by starting out with arm up palm facing you, grasp with your other hand on ther underside... twist towards right shoulder and hold

Each stretch should be held for 10-15 seconds start slow.

At your own pace don't injure yourself try these...
                  Knuckle Pushups
                  Finger tip Pushups
                  Back of Wrist Pushups

I use a "makiwara" for strengthening my knuckles you can either by one or make one
                  http://www.koketsudojo.com/training.htm

One last tip:
                  Throw a punch at a semi solid to solid object (heavy bag, makiwara) Hold the contact position and push your fist into the target "hard" hold this for 1-3 Minutes, during this time frozen in the impact state of your strike...think about how the energy traveled there, was it a snap? did you drive your hips into it? How did your legs move during the punch? Do this with various punches a few times a week and your punching power will improve also technique. Once you get advanced try to focus on fluidity, Why not hit with your entire body?

Hope that helps somebody... and hopefully I am not fighting you after about a month "ouch" hah have fun.

Comment

what they mean by there fists like iron or steel or watever the **** they talking about is because there knuckles become caliced..they call some people bare knuckle boxers..they hit a wooden board rapped in rope and it forms calices on there knuckles..and if your worrying about ur fists in a street fight then your probably oging to lose

Comment

I support the opinion of most the other guys here. Although that some of the good boxers in my gym don't use wraps, but use one special type of punching gloves, not like the one you know, but one from hard leather, they don't have any foam or anything that to reduce the power of the punch, but they just protect your knuckles from any wounds. But i personally don't think that the way to make your fist stronger is to punch bare handed. The power of your fists comes not from that but from your whole body power and especially from the technics you use. Believe me if you manage to make some clean punches and techniques your fists will be hard enough for the guy you're fighting with

Comment

Working...
                      X