No announcement yet.

Headaches after sparring?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dagomba View Post
    Really? Everyone gets hit man, you're not special even if you run 5 miles everyday, that doesn't make a difference. You're also wasting your time running 5 miles daily for to prepare for a 3 round fight. If you were in my gym that attitude would change even with our little bantams.

Keep sparring with no headgear my dude and keep getting those headaches that don't go away til the next day.
    I run to condition my legs so I can move out the way of punches not for cardio lol. Legs get tired real quick when bouncing on your toes. Sparring without headgear for 10 rounds isn't common practice for me. That was the first time I did 10, I did 4 rounds today. I don't claim to be better than anyone else, just saying it how it is. P.s, my heads fine today thanks for asking x
    Last edited by SalimShady1212; 03-11-2015, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Salim_Shady96 View Post
      I run to condition my legs so I can move out the way of punches not for cardio lol. Legs get tired real quick when bouncing on your toes. Sparring without headgear for 10 rounds isn't common practice for me. That was the first time I did 10, I did 4 rounds today. I don't claim to be better than anyone else, just saying it how it is. P.s, my heads fine today thanks for asking x
      You're still wasting your time with those 5 mile daily if they're done for that specific purpose.

You don't seem very humble basing it on your posts. You do claim you're better than most in your gym, you don't get hit that's why you don't use headgear. I'm glad your head is fine. I only questioned your training because it seems nuts that any decent trainer would let you do 10 rounds or 8 (which is what you say you can do without getting tired so doing 8 might not be an isolated instance?) without proper protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagomba View Post
        You're still wasting your time with those 5 mile daily if they're done for that specific purpose.

You don't seem very humble basing it on your posts. You do claim you're better than most in your gym, you don't get hit that's why you don't use headgear. I'm glad your head is fine. I only questioned your training because it seems nuts that any decent trainer would let you do 10 rounds or 8 (which is what you say you can do without getting tired so doing 8 might not be an isolated instance?) without proper protection.
        I genuinely am not trying to come across as rude, its hard to convey tone in text. Apologies if there's any misunderstanding. At the end of the day, different exercises help fighters in different ways.

Comment

After reading some of the reviews here, I felt compelled to weigh in.

Headaches after sparring, fighting, whatever can be a symptom of several different things. But, it's really important not to forget what happens physiologically. Unless you're at the 10,000 hour (or so) mark in actual combat (taking/receiving punches, not drills) you probably aren't as comfortable as you'd like to think you are.

That translates into something very important - increased blood pressure. When you fight, your heart rate goes up, and as a result, so does your blood pressure. When you add to that a piece of body geography with very thin skin, exposed systems, and an absolute ass-ton of capillaries (read: your unprotected noggin) you have a recipe for some really disastrous headaches. Think of it like...getting punched in a place where you already have a bruise. Increased blood flow to tissues makes them more elastic, making them more susceptible to immediate damage (example - if you 'punch' a limp, unfilled balloon, you probably wont do much damage structurally to it. Punch the same balloon when it's filled to near-bursting, you've got a different outcome).

Some suggestions:

1 - Wear your gear. Headgear is a must. It's practice.

2 - Learn to time things like biting down on your mouthguard and leaning with a punch. Basically learn to decrease the effect of the impact if you can't avoid the impact.

3 - Take a few ibuprofen before and after you spar. BE WARNED; this will thin your blood a little, so you wont clot as fast if you get cut. But, if you get cut in practice, someone's being a little too aggressive, most likely.

4 - Take a COLD shower after you fight. Good immuno-response, good regulatory response, and it'll help with capillaries.

Hope it helps. This is only one possibility. If they persist, see a sports doc.

Peace.

Comment

Working...
          X