No announcement yet.

Headaches after sparring?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
    If you have fresh partners every few rounds your being used as a mule in the gym. The only other reason is to get you in top shape but getting your butt kicked the last two rds doesn't give me the impression thats whats going on.
    How many bouts have you had this past year?
    How old are you?
    Where do you train?
    Do you have USA amateur insurance?
    Is your gym an active member in amateur boxing?

Ray.
    I'm from England and I'm 18, 4 bouts, I am one of the better fighters in the gym. Like I said all my fundamentals are pretty good and I don't get hit too much. And I must mention that I choose to do anything more than 4 rounds, coach supervises for safety and does not "expect" me to do more than 4. I was joking when I said whooped lol

Comment

If you are an active fighter why don't you have a picture of yourself in the avitar spot? Arent YOU your favorite fighter?

Doing an instructional 10+ rounds once in a while is fine I have no problem with that. To get ready for a 3 rd amateur bout 2 very fast very hard rds are all you need. When you come out of the session move to a heavy bag and bust it hard!
      You don't need to match the amount of rounds in a bout in sessions you do need to make your gym time very hard work when preparing to fight.

good luck, Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
        If you are an active fighter why don't you have a picture of yourself in the avitar spot? Arent YOU your favorite fighter?

Doing an instructional 10+ rounds once in a while is fine I have no problem with that. To get ready for a 3 rd amateur bout 2 very fast very hard rds are all you need. When you come out of the session move to a heavy bag and bust it hard!
        You don't need to match the amount of rounds in a bout in sessions you do need to make your gym time very hard work when preparing to fight.

good luck, Ray
        I started university in september so I've not been too active in terms of bouts as it takes me personally a good amount of time and preperation for a bout and I don't have a great deal of it. Boxing is more of a hobby for me now. Thanks for the advice and I will take more precaution from now on. Have a good day Ray p.s the avatar- Viva la maquina!!
        Last edited by SalimShady1212; 03-06-2015, 02:51 PM.

Comment

A few hours is the same for me. It's not much of a headache where I'm lying in bed. I can go through h.w. etc just fine with it. That was when I started out. Now I don't get hit as often, plus my new gym is great because every one has an understanding that tech sparring is the way to go. I do 4, 2 min rounds max, twice a week.

Just two days ago though I got a left hook right on the ear and my head had been ringing for 2 days (not constantly). I was going to see a doctor, but it's good now.

Comment

Go see a doctor and stop sparring. Brain damage is no ****ing joke.

Comment

I feel like a lot of what was said by the TS is bull or at least exaggerated.

After I eat a good shot, after sparring I've felt a bit lightheaded and discomfort around the neck and back of the head and it feels weird to move your head around a lot. It goes away after you rest which is what you should do if you're getting headaches after you spar. I think the head aches are a bad sign if they're long lasting and you are getting them every time you spar. I also find it difficult to believe you are not getting hit a decent amount of times in those 10 rounds with fresh partners every so often, not to mention you say you spar with no headgear. They're either using you as a mule to help others get better or they're burning you out without even thinking about it. You can't keep a pace like that for a while and not expect to be worn out or damaged. Think about your own safety if your coach doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagomba View Post

After I eat a good shot, after sparring I've felt a bit lightheaded and discomfort around the neck and back of the head and it feels weird to move your head around a lot. It goes away after you rest which is what you should do if you're getting headaches after you spar. I think the head aches are a bad sign if they're long lasting and you are getting them every time you spar. I also find it difficult to believe you are not getting hit a decent amount of times in those 10 rounds with fresh partners every so often, not to mention you say you spar with no headgear. They're either using you as a mule to help others get better or they're burning you out without even thinking about it. You can't keep a pace like that for a while and not expect to be worn out or damaged. Think about your own safety if your coach doesn't.
                I feel bad for any kid who is the subject of that.

The coaches you trust so much are in fact using you as a moving punching bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Salim_Shady96 View Post
                  Anyone else sometimes get them? I spar without headgear as it limits my vision, not sure if that has any effect... I don't get hit too much.
                  Make sure your headgear fits. Also, just wear it more often. Wear it when you hit the bag. Get used to the limited vision and tightness of it, and how you lose sight of your opponent when changing levels or rolling, that way it won't bother you as much in the ring. I have the same problem sometimes, especially with my new headgear. If your headgear doesn't fit properly, it may feel ok wieh you put it on but once you catch a few glancing blows it will move it around and it sucks, you feel like Luke Skywalker with that helmet in in Star Wars and have to swing blindly if you are in an exchange or just use your feet to get out of there and adjust it with your gloves.

Also, just not getting hit helps with headaches in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagomba View Post

Use your damn legs, I run 5 miles every morning. I move around a lot like Lara, may be boring but suits me perfectly for amateur bouts. Most guys at the gym are not as agile as me, I'm a super bantamweight if you're wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by Salim_Shady96 View Post
                      Use your damn legs, I run 5 miles every morning. I move around a lot like Lara, may be boring but suits me perfectly for amateur bouts. Most guys at the gym are not as agile as me, I'm a super bantamweight if you're wondering.
                      Really? Everyone gets hit man, you're not special even if you run 5 miles everyday, that doesn't make a difference. You're also wasting your time running 5 miles daily for to prepare for a 3 round fight. If you were in my gym that attitude would change even with our little bantams.

Keep sparring with no headgear my dude and keep getting those headaches that don't go away til the next day.

Comment

Working...
                      X