No announcement yet.

Weight lifting and boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight lifting and boxing?

Okay so, my first love (sports wise) was always bodybuilding and weight lifting related things. Having been lifting since I was 13 I'm now a shortish stocky broad shouldered guy. I have always loved lifting and love gym life, but for awhile now boxing has become my new love. I am dedicated to boxing and would give up weightlifting to become a better boxer. But if I could keep lifting and keep boxing this would be the ideal situation.

Now I've read a lot of people claiming that weightlifting slows you down and less flexible, and then again I've read others saying that it doesn't affect boxing at all. Can someone give me a decent opinion with somewhat reliable information?

yea, do both

Comment

Browse through this thread for somewhat reliable info and the discussion in general: http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...=654141&page=2

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bison View Post
        Okay so, my first love (sports wise) was always bodybuilding and weight lifting related things. Having been lifting since I was 13 I'm now a shortish stocky broad shouldered guy. I have always loved lifting and love gym life, but for awhile now boxing has become my new love. I am dedicated to boxing and would give up weightlifting to become a better boxer. But if I could keep lifting and keep boxing this would be the ideal situation.

Now I've read a lot of people claiming that weightlifting slows you down and less flexible, and then again I've read others saying that it doesn't affect boxing at all. Can someone give me a decent opinion with somewhat reliable information?
        i say if your gonna lift while doing boxing try to focus on high reps and medium weight. nothing to hard but lots of reps to build those muscles for boxing. try not do lift frequently though focus more on calisthenics and bodyweight exercises. good luck man

Comment

Originally posted by KillaMoose View Post
          i say if your gonna lift while doing boxing try to focus on high reps and medium weight. nothing to hard but lots of reps to build those muscles for boxing. try not do lift frequently though focus more on calisthenics and bodyweight exercises. good luck man
          High reps is exactly what you should avoid for boxing training. The high volume will make you sore and impede your boxing drills. A strength training routine of high weight and low reps(around 5) will increase your strength without the high volume that makes you sore. Obviously skill development should take priority but there's no reason not to do weightlifting for boxing if implemented properly.

Comment

I was once in the same predicament. I couldn't decide between boxing and lifting because people told me that they didn't complement each other. But I wanted to keep doing both so what I do now is I lift weights with my head gear, mouth piece, protective cup and hand wraps whenever I go to Gold's gym

Comment

Originally posted by KillaMoose View Post
              Pretty much the exact opposite.

You're looking to build explosive power. Big weight, low reps. Like 3-5 reps. Sometimes 1-3. Compound lifts. Explosive reps. Hit the fast twitch muscle fibers. You're going to build your aerobic energy while doing your sparring, mitts, heavy bag, etc. Your regular training routine. You're working on your anaerobic energy with the strength training. The 3-7 second bursts of explosion.

The biggest thing when it comes to weight training for boxing or MMA, is to not let the weight training interfere with your regular boxing training. You shouldn't leave your strength training session so sore that if negatively affects your boxing training.

Comment

Thank's guys I'll try and stick to low rep and heavy weights and throw in a few more olympic lifts such as clean and jerks and maybe snatches. I don't think I'll give up weightlifting until I really start getting the piss beaten out of me.

Comment

1 rep 95-100% 1 rep max 1-3 sets = maximal strength

1-3 reps 80-95% 1 rep max 1-3 sets = explosive strength and maximal strength

3-5 reps 60-80% 1 rep max 1-3 sets = explosive strength and maximal strength slight hypertrophy

6-20 reps 40-60% 1 rep max 3-5 sets = bigger muscles

20-40 reps 20-50% 1 rep max 4-6 sets = better endurance slight hypertrophy

30-50 reps 15-30% 1 rep max 3-5 sets with each movement taking about 1 second (like if your curling weights that's up 1 second down 1 second up one second down one second...) = maximal speed

Low weight, high reps is not bad, it is the main stay of boxing, road work is low weight high reps, hitting the bag is low weight high reps, shadow boxing is low weight high reps, working foot work is low weight high reps, situps is low weight high reps, pad work is low weight high rep, sparring is low weight high reps.

boxing is low weight high reps.

Low weight and high reps is not the issue, the issue is 6-20 reps at 40-60% your 1 rep max in 3-5 sets.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
                    1 rep 95-100% 1 rep max 1-3 sets = maximal strength

1-3 reps 80-95% 1 rep max 1-3 sets = explosive strength and maximal strength

3-5 reps 60-80% 1 rep max 1-3 sets = explosive strength and maximal strength slight hypertrophy

6-20 reps 40-60% 1 rep max 3-5 sets = bigger muscles

20-40 reps 20-50% 1 rep max 4-6 sets = better endurance slight hypertrophy

30-50 reps 15-30% 1 rep max 3-5 sets with each movement taking about 1 second (like if your curling weights that's up 1 second down 1 second up one second down one second...) = maximal speed

Low weight, high reps is not bad, it is the main stay of boxing, road work is low weight high reps, hitting the bag is low weight high reps, shadow boxing is low weight high reps, working foot work is low weight high reps, situps is low weight high reps, pad work is low weight high rep, sparring is low weight high reps.

boxing is low weight high reps.

Low weight and high reps is not the issue, the issue is 6-20 reps at 40-60% your 1 rep max in 3-5 sets.
                    You just explained to the guy, the exact reason he doesn't need low weight, high reps.

Everything he does in his regular boxing training, is "low weight, high reps". Which is hitting his aerobic energy. From a strength standpoint, he needs 1-5 reps, with high weight. This is a scientific fact. If he's looking to get stronger and more explosive, "low weight, high reps" will do NONE of that.

There's this common misconception that high weight for low reps "bulks" or "puts on weight". It's ridiculous. It builds strength. And if this guy is looking to build strength, it's what he needs.

If he's looking to build muscular endurance, rep away. And knock their socks off, Malignaggi.
                    Last edited by johnm is...; 10-16-2014, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X