No announcement yet.

Weight lifting and boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
    Not following through even a millimeter is one of the more ridiculous pieces of advice I've ever read on a boxing forum.
    Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
    if you have proper distance for a punch you cant punch through, maybe a couple inches in, but not through. You really want full extension of the punch before impact.
    this should be the third time your reading the bold. Given your post, it kinda confirms my su****ion that you have no idea what I'm saying, and not because you don't understand it, but outright bias and ignorance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
      this should be the third time your reading the bold. Given your post, it kinda confirms my su****ion that you have no idea what I'm saying, and not because you don't understand it, but outright bias and ignorance.
      Your posts are so full of contradictions and outright falsities that I'm not sure even you have any understanding of what you're saying.

Comment

Your posts are so full of contradictions and outright falsities that I'm not sure even you have any understanding of what you're saying.
        Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
        Not following through even a millimeter is one of the more ridiculous pieces of advice I've ever read on a boxing forum.
        Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
        if you have proper distance for a punch you cant punch through, maybe a couple inches in, but not through. You really want full extension of the punch before impact.
        Ignorant Bias.

Try to say things that make people actually want to show you respect, and listen to what you have to say.

here are some links that might help:

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-an...iority-Complex

http://www.magforwomen.com/how-to-ge...ority-complex/
        Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 10-27-2014, 12:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
          Ignorant Bias.

Try to say things that make people actually want to show you respect, and listen to what you have to say.

here are some links that might help:

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-an...iority-Complex

http://www.magforwomen.com/how-to-ge...ority-complex/
          Well which is it kiddo? Inferiority or superiority? Like I said, full of contradictions.

Excuse me for noticing the nonsensical bold over the bit before it, which you also contradicted many times thereafter. Try being clearer in what you say, or better yet figuring out what you want to say before wasting our time with pages of nonsense.

Comment

Well which is it kiddo? Inferiority or superiority?
            research the subject.

Comment

• No professional, but yes - highly recommend incorporating some sort of resistance training into your boxing.

Whether it's actual weight lifting, or resistance bands, body weight exercises... Whatever.. It's great to imitate "boxing moves" with resistance.

The possibilities are almost limitless of how you can incorporate resistance training into your boxing. Without being too creative, a good place to start is weighed gloves, holding dumbells while shadow boxing, resistance band (there's this thing htey sell that goes around you that allows you to shadow box with varying levels of resistance)... Certain movements with weights - there's one exercise where you take a barbell and prop it in a corner, put the necessary weight on the end facing you (usually good to start out lighter, and move up - but make sure you can do at least 20 "good.. full range/movement reps"), and with each hand, pick it up to shoulder level, and simply "punch up" with it.

Using a weighted vest is GREAT for shadow boxing, working your rounds on the various bags, esepcially skipping rope, jogging, and even sparring.

ANd of course you want to focus a lot on your core (including lower back) strength.

Really just get creative. Do some google searches... And see how your body responds to each exercise.

Comment

• Also basic weight training is good too.

Squats, deadlifts, and power cleans are some of the best all around exercises that will increase your explosiveness, and overall strength. DO NOT abandon these exercises. I'd aim for 3-4 pyramid style sets - starting out at 15 reps, going donw to 8 reps (increasing the weight each time). Then do a "burnout" set after your last set, immediately thereafter. So if your last set of squats is 205 x 8, then immediately drop down to like 135, and do as many reps as you can (aim for at least 10).

I woldn't put too much stock in "bench press," but dumbell presses , maybechange it up to one hand at a time. Incline dumbell press would be ggood.

Military press is good... Random isolated shoulder exercises with light weights will be good to keep your flexiblity, and mobility.

I'd be careful not to go too heavy with a lot f upperbody exercises, because if you harm your shoulders, which are a crucial part toboxing, you may have problems for the rest of your life. So focos more on form, and concentration of these exercises improving your explosiveness in the ring.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeyJoeJoee View Post
                  Also basic weight training is good too.

Squats, deadlifts, and power cleans are some of the best all around exercises that will increase your explosiveness, and overall strength. DO NOT abandon these exercises. I'd aim for 3-4 pyramid style sets - starting out at 15 reps, going donw to 8 reps (increasing the weight each time). Then do a "burnout" set after your last set, immediately thereafter. So if your last set of squats is 205 x 8, then immediately drop down to like 135, and do as many reps as you can (aim for at least 10).

I woldn't put too much stock in "bench press," but dumbell presses , maybechange it up to one hand at a time. Incline dumbell press would be ggood.

Military press is good... Random isolated shoulder exercises with light weights will be good to keep your flexiblity, and mobility.

I'd be careful not to go too heavy with a lot f upperbody exercises, because if you harm your shoulders, which are a crucial part toboxing, you may have problems for the rest of your life. So focos more on form, and concentration of these exercises improving your explosiveness in the ring.
                  Doing a pyramid that starts at 15 reps isn't optimal for strength building and is more geared towards hypertrophy. Burnouts are also geared towards hypertrophy. What you should be doing is a program that builds as much strength as possible. For this you need heavy weight for low reps. A program like stronglifts 5x5 would be ideal, except fewer sets to reduce soreness and not impede boxing drills.

As long as your form is good you aren't going to injure yourself even with very heavy weights. Weight lifting has a lower injury rate than badminton.

Comment

• Originally posted by HedonisticFrog View Post
                    Doing a pyramid that starts at 15 reps isn't optimal for strength building and is more geared towards hypertrophy. Burnouts are also geared towards hypertrophy. What you should be doing is a program that builds as much strength as possible. For this you need heavy weight for low reps. A program like stronglifts 5x5 would be ideal, except fewer sets to reduce soreness and not impede boxing drills.

As long as your form is good you aren't going to injure yourself even with very heavy weights. Weight lifting has a lower injury rate than badminton.
                    Boxing you want your muscles to be able to last a long time.

Of course this isn't a detailed workout plan - you should change it up: 4 to 6 weeks do pyramid sets, then 4 to 6 weeks do heavyweight (at least for most exercises).

It's all about what the person feels best with, and how their body responds.

Ask most pro bodybuilders, athletes of all sports - and some say their body responds better to higher reps, lower weight - some say higher weight, lower reps.

I'm not going to argue with somebody who knows no more, and probably no less than I do about implementing resistaning and weight training into boxing regime. You got your opinion, I got mine. Some will agree with you, some with me.

I'd advise somebody to do whatever works best for him, and try to change things up every month or two.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeyJoeJoee View Post
                      Boxing you want your muscles to be able to last a long time.

Of course this isn't a detailed workout plan - you should change it up: 4 to 6 weeks do pyramid sets, then 4 to 6 weeks do heavyweight (at least for most exercises).

It's all about what the person feels best with, and how their body responds.

Ask most pro bodybuilders, athletes of all sports - and some say their body responds better to higher reps, lower weight - some say higher weight, lower reps.

I'm not going to argue with somebody who knows no more, and probably no less than I do about implementing resistaning and weight training into boxing regime. You got your opinion, I got mine. Some will agree with you, some with me.

I'd advise somebody to do whatever works best for him, and try to change things up every month or two.
                      Don't try to claim I don't know more than you, the discussion should be about what is most effective and not ad hominem attacks.

Lifting heavy weights for low reps increases strength the most and there are plenty of scientific studies to show I'm right. Here's a brief list.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12436270
                      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18787090
                      http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...31556513002738
                      http://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperIn...?paperID=28182
                      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8868268

Boxing drills are more than enough to build muscular endurance so there's no need to use weights for that.

You have your opinion, I have my opinion and a lot of scientific research to support it.

Comment

Working...
                      X