Collapse
No announcement yet.

My boxing preparation

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I kind of agree with both Ray and loser. Learning curve is individual and can speed up progress. For example I started sparring two or three months after starting the beginning of this year. Others who have trained over the years didn't start sparring that quickly because they hadn't developed so quickly. And yes there are some guys who do pretty well with little experience. Carlos Molina turned pro after around 18 amateur fights. But it is only a select few who do that and even then it takes time to develop skill. However I agree with Ray more. You need to understand that no matter how hard you work there will always be someone out there with more experience and that makes a huge difference. I only started at 18 and I just stay humble in order to learn and funnily enough I develop quicker through that. You have the right mindset but you need to know that there are no quick routes no matter what the learning curve is like. Even when you have all of the skills that won't be enough. If is the mental and competitive side of the sport you need to think about.

As an amateur especially you need to stay active. Down in England there's 14 year old kids with around 60 amateur fights because they stay so active. That'd what Ray was getting at. There are people who work hard, get fit and develop all the skills but come fight night struggle with their opponent.

My advice would be to get to this gym as soon as you can and just train for a few months. Then see where you are at. A lot is skill development requires extensive time in the gym to perfect it. It's easy to learn the concepts but you need a lot of time in the gym and sparring to get it all down.

Comment

Your avatar picked name says it all!
      Your all ready out working people ........at what? Weightlifting?
      Your talking with a man who's trained fighters and advised trainers & fighters for 50 years. Good luck sonny I've heard your kind for years but I've never seen or heard of one that could get it done.

As I stated drop the weights and spend ALL your training time on boxing!!

This is "free advice" from someone who made a living in the game.

Change "loser" to "Effort"!

Comment

There’s little benefit to having enormous muscles. Instead, an effective boxer will have excellent core muscles, be toned from head to toe and have stellar cardio. Boxers at all levels have to be supremely dedicated to rigorous boxing training both in the gym and outside it!

You need to follow a boxing training routine not a bodybuilding routine!

A typical boxing workout should include the following phases (ask your boxing instructor for details at each phase):

THE WARM-UP: get the muscles stretched and warmed up before doing anything too strenuous. Do some jogging in place or jumping jacks before you stretch your entire body, especially the calves, arms and back. Then it’s time to get your heart rate up, and there’s no better way than through skipping — a traditional part of the boxer workout. Skip at a pace of 100-120 revs/min for 5-10 minutes.
        KEEP YOUR HEART-RATE UP: Your boxer workout should now be governed by threes and ones: three minutes on, one minute off. This structure simulates a typical boxing round. Do push-ups, sit-ups, jumping jacks, burpees doing 30 seconds of each.
        THROW SOME PUNCHES: shadow boxing with different punches in different combinations. Work the punch bag, speed bag, double end bag, hook and upper cut bags.
        CUT THE CORE: build your core muscles to protect against punishing body shots. You can start with a medicine ball.
        COOL DOWN: Skip for another 5-to-10 minutes at a pace of 100-120 revs/min, then finish with a full set of stretching.

Comment

Originally posted by Loser View Post
          Ok, I might be older. So what? Does that mean I won't be able to beat other people in a competitive manner?

If I can concentrate on something very hard, then I'll be able to box successfully. If I'll work harder than the others, I beat others. Period.
          Someone who trains 5 years can be better than someone who trains 10 years. It's a minority, but there are individuals like that.
          THIS is the mindset to have. First off, 21 is NOT too ****ing old to start, fight, win, live the life, have a blast, if you actually enjoy the work that goes into competing. If Ray Corso, who has been in the game 50+ years and training people at the world level, it's natural for him to scoff when someone 21 years old walks into his gym and he'll say "sorry buddy 10 years too late." Too late for what? For him to make you a world champion? Lol, okay. If that's too much to bear that you won't be the 132 lb champion of the world some day, by all means, don't box. A lot of people have one fight and wash out after the experience, like a bucket list thing. Whatever. It's a journey. I was a 27 year old, attorney by day/boxer by night when I was training for my first fight (victory). There is a 16-1 cruiserweight you can look up on boxrec right now named Venroy July who started boxing in law school, and went 7-2 amateur and decided to take a shot and start fighting these pro guys. He works ridiculous hours as a corporate lawyer, but he makes it work with hardwork. It's common to see late starters, who work extremely hard, have success. They could easily just say **** it and go get drunk at happy hour after work, but something keeps them fighting.

Also, in regard to "there's 14 year olds with 60 amateur fights" who carrrreeeesssss. They aren't going to throw you in against the Olympic prospect! That guy is busy entering national tournaments. There will be no shortage of 132 lbers who are starting boxing at the exact same time as you that you will be able to compete against. They might be 15 years old but so what, beat up that 132 lbs snot nose and have a ball!

Comment

Working...
          X