No announcement yet.

Conditioning routines of old and new greats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditioning routines of old and new greats

While there are many threads and various books on routines of famous boxers I'm wondering if anyone can shed light on routines of past greats.

We have all by now heard of routines from guys like Tyson or pac or modern greats but routines change very often, sometimes on a fight by fight basis.

I'm just wanting to know the gist of what some may have done for physical conditioning, not necessarily set routines. Maybe even some unorthodox methods of conditioning.

I know about archie Moore chopping wood and his isometric excercises and many have heard of Dempsey's tar chewing and interval training.

But sometimes I wonder small things like did chavez sr do any calisthenics as well as roadwork and sparring?

And what about guys like Willie pep? What kind of excercises did he do or favour? If there's anyone who can give an idea of the training that fighters that they met or spent time with did (here's looking at you ray corso!) please comment.

Willie Pep was alive until relatively recent times. It would have been awesome if his ideas on conditioning and boxing tactics could have been catalogued before he left us.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      Willie Pep was alive until relatively recent times. It would have been awesome if his ideas on conditioning and boxing tactics could have been catalogued before he left us.
      It is a huge shame. I heard he was big into shadowboxing and roadwork but don't know for sure

Comment

Working...
      X