No announcement yet.

Jump rope on padding?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jump rope on padding?

Hey everyone. I looked through a few pages and didn't see a thread on this and I was curious for concern in long term effects.

Would it make much difference in my joints and back if I buy a yoga mat or weight machine mat made of decently thick rubber to do my jumping on? Im a heavyweight and only 27 years old with no joint issues yet but I am thinking about keeping it that way for the future. Would buying a pad help or does it not really matter? Also for jump squats and other workouts that have some shock to our joints.

Thanks

It would add stress to your legs jumping on a foam mat or exercise pad!
    Similar to running on a beach can bring muscle and joint problems if over used. A hard rubber mat would be ideal for rope work.
    Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      It would add stress to your legs jumping on a foam mat or exercise pad!
      Similar to running on a beach can bring muscle and joint problems if over used. A hard rubber mat would be ideal for rope work.
      Ray
      This is what they had at the gym I used to go. Thick rubber mats, or I would just jump on the floor which was smooth concrete.

Comment

If you want to minimize joint injuries just make sure to land and take off on the balls of your feet. The same is true of running. I used to have aches and pains every time I ran until I started running on the balls of my feet.

Comment

Guys skipping rope on foam padding or wood surface is better. Less impact on landing and easier on joints than skipping on concrete floor even if the floor is smooth. And yes always landing soft on the balls of your feet to avoid over stressing the calf muscles and avoid getting shin splints.

Comment

If you jump rope correctly I dont think itll make a difference.

Youre only supposed to jumped about 1/3 of an inch or so, if that. Typically just barely above the the thickness of the rope.

If youre jumping high its not as consistent or efficient, not only that but you cant do the more fancy moves or add variety.

Comment

Originally posted by Layzie Kidd View Post
              If you jump rope correctly I dont think itll make a difference.

Youre only supposed to jumped about 1/3 of an inch or so, if that. Typically just barely above the the thickness of the rope.

If youre jumping high its not as consistent or efficient, not only that but you cant do the more fancy moves or add variety.
              Of course it still makes a difference. Think of it as friction on impact. It's like say as long as you run correctly you can run in any shoes. Besides no one, not even the best boxers can jump precisely 1/3 of an inch. Landing on a soft surface equal soft landing and low impact on joints.

Comment

Originally posted by evilzombie123 View Post
                Hey everyone. I looked through a few pages and didn't see a thread on this and I was curious for concern in long term effects.

Would it make much difference in my joints and back if I buy a yoga mat or weight machine mat made of decently thick rubber to do my jumping on? Im a heavyweight and only 27 years old with no joint issues yet but I am thinking about keeping it that way for the future. Would buying a pad help or does it not really matter? Also for jump squats and other workouts that have some shock to our joints.

Thanks
                Ideally, rope skipping should be done on a rubberized mat, low-pile carpeting or a floor with a slight give, like wood or linoleum. Cross-trainers or aerobic shoes with cushioning at the front of the foot are recommended since proper technique requires lifting off and landing using the balls of the feet.
                Also while skipping it is very important that you use the proper technique:

The basic rope skipping technique is as simple as five steps:
                -Keep a light grip on the handles close to where the rope begins
                -Relax your shoulders and elbows and keep them close to your body
                -Bend your knees slightly and keep your back straight with your head up
                -Use your wrists to make small circles to turn the rope; keep it smooth
                -Keep your jumps small, just high enough to clear the rope.

If done properly, rope skipping is less stressful than running, which is usually done on hard surface on the open environment! Considering this, me personally, I ware a pair of well cushioned shoes and skip anywhere! Especially I like to combine it with running!

Comment

Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
                  Of course it still makes a difference. Think of it as friction on impact. It's like say as long as you run correctly you can run in any shoes. Besides no one, not even the best boxers can jump precisely 1/3 of an inch. Landing on a soft surface equal soft landing and low impact on joints.
                  I really doubt when youre jumping ~1/2 inch whether its on padding or the floor is going to make a difference. You'd have to be smoking something great if you think barely half an inch of impact is going to kill you. Learning how to jump rope good is the easiest thing even the greenest person can do. I think youre just making excuses because you cant jump rope correctly.

And no your example is extremely wrong, dont be a woman.

Comment

i much prefer a hard surface and boxing shoes for jumping rope than soft mats and thick soled trainers. I only ever use the balls of my feet and dont jump much higher doing double under sets, i just increase rope speed. Low profile boxing shoes have made my skipping feel much lighter, I only have to jump barely above the rope thickness and with no tread for the rope to get jammed in, I can ramp up the speed to warm shoulder up properly.

Comment

Working...
                    X