Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don't boxers take upon long distance cycling?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't boxers take upon long distance cycling?

You're much less prone to injury cycling compared to running. Plus you're able to put in many, many miles and build up your stamina without putting too much stress on vital areas. It's also safe if you choose a nice bike path or streets that aren't busy with cars. I'm just curious as I've recently taken up cycling and I've already lost close to 20 pounds and my stamina is higher than ever. But then again I'm the type of person that absolutely despises running.

Well for one thing, jogging helps with footwork and balance. But yes, I think you make good points about long distance cycling being helpful for stamina and weight loss. The thing about boxing is that doing non-traditional training methods are almost looked as sacrilegious, i.e. how dare a boxer pick up a set of weights! It's appears that in recent years more trainers and boxers are embracing other training methods and remaining open minded. I believe that Sergio Martinez was a keen cyclist before boxing, I wonder if kept that in his training regime as a boxer. I'm sure he wouldn't be the only one, Mike Tyson would rely on an exercise bike as well as early morning jogging for stamina. Juan Diaz was another fighter that comes to mind who would swim instead of doing roadowork.
    Last edited by _original_; 09-07-2014, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Cycling doesn't burn as many calories as running does. In most training camps making weight is a huge task, cycling doesn't cut it.

Comment

Harder to elevate and sustain as high a heart rate doing cycling IMO. It's not as intense as running or rowing which recruits more muscles .

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
          Well for one thing, jogging helps with footwork and balance. But yes, I think you make good points about long distance cycling being helpful for stamina and weight loss. The thing about boxing is that doing non-traditional training methods are almost looked as sacrilegious, i.e. how dare a boxer pick up a set of weights! It's appears that in recent years more trainers and boxers are embracing other training methods and remaining open minded. I believe that Sergio Martinez was a keen cyclist before boxing, I wonder if kept that in his training regime as a boxer. I'm sure he wouldn't be the only one, Mike Tyson would rely on an exercise bike as well as early morning jogging for stamina. Juan Diaz was another fighter that comes to mind who would swim instead of doing roadowork.
          In martinez chavez 24/7 you see martinez doing cycling as a regular part of his stamina and leg training. Maybe not long distance but medium distance with pretty high intensity if i remeber correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivansmamma View Post
            In martinez chavez 24/7 you see martinez doing cycling as a regular part of his stamina and leg training. Maybe not long distance but medium distance with pretty high intensity if i remeber correctly.
            He used to be a professional cyclist and his knee problems dated back to even before that fight- you could see signs in the fight.

Comment

Working...
            X