Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why is the footwork in the amateurs so different from the pros?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why is the footwork in the amateurs so different from the pros?

In most amateur flight, most of the time the boxers seem to bounce around a lot more and move around more often and more fluently, whereas in the pros they seem more flatfooted and take smaller steps aside from fighters like Ali srl and pacman. Is there any particular reason for this?

Originally posted by HtotheZ View Post
    In most amateur flight, most of the time the boxers seem to bounce around a lot more and move around more often and more fluently, whereas in the pros they seem more flatfooted and take smaller steps aside from fighters like Ali srl and pacman. Is there any particular reason for this?
    GOOD amateurs dont bounce around either. the AMATEUR amateurs jump around, to keep themselves mobile/active on feet so they dont forget to move...
    pros are more efficient and less telegraphic by taking smaller steps/not bouncin around.

i could be wrong. just my guesses

Comment

Pros have to be more measured and conservative. Fights are longer and fatigue is a bigger factor. Punches hurt more as you get tired, and especially since you don't have the benefit of head gear. It's tiring boxing on your toes for 6, 8, 10 rounds AND you gotta keep shuffling the deck to keep a guy honest so there's the mental exhaustion from that as well.

Ams hop around like energizer bunny because it's more like a 100 M sprint. You only fight for 2 or 3 rounds so fatigue is not even in the question. It's pretty much balls to the wall. You don't have time to go in there willy-nilly studying a guy, trying to see what he's gonna do to set up all of your pretty counter moves. You gotta be quick and decisive. You go in there saying **** what the other guy does and just pretty much try to land more punches.
      Last edited by Biolink; 09-03-2014, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
        GOOD amateurs dont bounce around either. the AMATEUR amateurs jump around, to keep themselves mobile/active on feet so they dont forget to move...
        pros are more efficient and less telegraphic by taking smaller steps/not bouncin around.

i could be wrong. just my guesses
        This is pretty much it. Also now with the introduction of the 10 point must system the footwork is very different and much more akin to the pros. However it is still a little faster because of the fast paced nature of the ams. In a couple of years the footwork will look very different. In the uk the national training scheme focuses on planting your feet a little more as well as the essential footwork. In the commonwealth games a lot of the guys who did well had a very pro style in that they had good footwork but they never had to bounce around all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Wuckoo View Post
          This is pretty much it. Also now with the introduction of the 10 point must system the footwork is very different and much more akin to the pros. However it is still a little faster because of the fast paced nature of the ams. In a couple of years the footwork will look very different. In the uk the national training scheme focuses on planting your feet a little more as well as the essential footwork. In the commonwealth games a lot of the guys who did well had a very pro style in that they had good footwork but they never had to bounce around all the time.
          rigo and ggg come to mind!

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
            rigo and ggg come to mind!
            Yeah, that's right! They both had very pro styles even in the ams. Golovkin doesn't fight very differently now than when he was in the ams. You should always be in motion but you don't need to bounce like a rabbit. You should be nice and grounded

Comment

You have to be grounded to have any leverage on your shots. Power comes from the floor. The canvas is your leverage.

Comment

Good news is I believe the Olympics is going to be back to a 10 point scoring system. Should be good watching future Olympians transition over to the pros now.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
                  Good news is I believe the Olympics is going to be back to a 10 point scoring system. Should be good watching future Olympians transition over to the pros now.
                  I watched the commonwealth games recently and believe me it's much more exciting with the new system. And the transition to the pro ranks will be much easier. It's just right now a lot of them don't seem to know how to fight on the inside so end up clashing heads when they try to.

Comment

AND NO MORE HEADGEARS IN AMS!! CHEERS DDDDD

Comment

Working...
                    X