Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad habit of lifting head when attacking..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad habit of lifting head when attacking..

Don't know why it is, but when I punch fast I always seem to lift my head...I practice on the heavy bag and shadow boxing, keeping my chin down when throwing fast combos. But when it comes to sparring I just keep lifting my head up, and yes, I'm left wide open and get hit clean. Anyone else had this problem?
    For the one or two shots I'm fine, but when I want to let off 4 or 5 quick punches my damn head always lifts. Is it just a case of practicing over and over??

I assume you're like Amir Khan then huh? That's what I imagine from your explanation.

I got nothing perfect for you though to be honest. I guess I would say just take your time. There's really no reason to fire off 4-5 punch combos period. Not exceedingly fast at least.

Just look at Golovkin. Dude throws 4-5 punch combos but they're patient combos. Usually head then body then head and maybe body 2x. Nothing rapid fire like Amir khan throwing 5 straights and lifting his head.

Boxing is a marathon bro. Take your time, pick your shots. You'll be good.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
      I assume you're like Amir Khan then huh? That's what I imagine from your explanation.

I got nothing perfect for you though to be honest. I guess I would say just take your time. There's really no reason to fire off 4-5 punch combos period. Not exceedingly fast at least.

Just look at Golovkin. Dude throws 4-5 punch combos but they're patient combos. Usually head then body then head and maybe body 2x. Nothing rapid fire like Amir khan throwing 5 straights and lifting his head.

Boxing is a marathon bro. Take your time, pick your shots. You'll be good.
      Sorry man didn't hear a word u said....
      Dat sig...damn! Lol

P.s. Cheers for advice

Comment

3 x 2 minute rounds is no marathon, tho.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

You'll fix that bad habit once somebody drops a proper right hand on that chin. You'll either stop doing it or you will get hurt because of it. Your choice, lower that chin or take up golf, simple as that.

Start shadow boxing, working the bag, etc... with a rolled up/taped hand towel from your kitchen under your chin. Don't let that towel touch the ground while you are doing your work.......

Originally posted by Soju View Post
          3 x 2 minute rounds is no marathon, tho.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
          It is when you're a newbie. Do your thing kid, it will all come with time and proper dedication..........
          Last edited by Rockin'; 07-21-2014, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Keep working on it. Get chin checked a few times and you will adjust, if not then you got a problem

Comment

Run with a tennis ball tucked underneath your chin

Comment

Tennis ball under your chin, shadow box with it. If you drop it give yourself some burpee jumps x10. Ive never had a problem with my chin in the air but ive seen this being put into use and it does work !

Comment

Originally posted by J.Dempsey View Post
                  Don't know why it is, but when I punch fast I always seem to lift my head...I practice on the heavy bag and shadow boxing, keeping my chin down when throwing fast combos. But when it comes to sparring I just keep lifting my head up, and yes, I'm left wide open and get hit clean. Anyone else had this problem?
                  For the one or two shots I'm fine, but when I want to let off 4 or 5 quick punches my damn head always lifts. Is it just a case of practicing over and over??
                  In my experience, it's usually balance issue.

The weight of the average head is around 5kg. The more you lean forward the more it affects your centre of gravity. Many people instinctively lean the head back and upward to counteract this.

This ties in with what you are saying regarding throwing combo's. It's difficult to maintain balance throughout a longer combo. I'm guessing that with each successive punch, your balance deteriorates slightly and as a result, you lift your head to maintain your centre of gravity.

Many people do not have this issue on pads or heavy bag, because it's easy to judge distance as the target doesn't move. However, with a live opponent this isn't the case and many novices tend to over-reach.

Also, when you try to punch fast, many novices tend to sacrifice fully transferring their weight properly in order to try and punch faster. For example when you throw a straight right (if orthodox), you may transfer you weight to the front leg, but when you throw your hook, you may not fully transfer your weight to the rear leg. Then, when you throw your back hand again, you get even more off balance and end up lifting you head to counteract this.

Balance and distance / range.

Hope this makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by J.Dempsey View Post
                    Sorry man didn't hear a word u said....
                    Dat sig...damn! Lol

P.s. Cheers for advice
                    Just skimmed over this .. Put a tennis ball under your chin and start shakedown boxing

Comment

Working...
                    X