Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running time and distance.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like what Rockin' through at you plus for distance your doing 25 min for 3 miles is VERY slow! At 15 yrs old you need to break that time down to about a 7 minute mile (21 min) then 6:30 and then 6 minutes per mile! I can actually remember my times as a 15 yrs old and was performing 5:05 a mile for 2 miles, then hit the final mile at about 6;10! However I was in great shape to be able to do that and at a low weight then. At 20 years old I couldn't duplicate that even in fight shape!

Distance and Sprints along with different surfaces sand, grass, gravel, to working incline decline and stairs. When your trying something new start slowly and don't do much always crawl, walk to be able to run. As a young man you won't think of injuries but your still growing and long bone development may not be completed if you have height and more weight to gain. Any injury at your age to long bones can stay with you and become chronic for life! Go slow and yes I forgot swimming!!!! Same method applies distance and sprints and learn to swim before trying this! !'
    Why are you sitting there?..........................GO!
    Ray.

Comment

I have a horse that can run 1 mile in 1min 38 secs

Comment

I think everything has a place. I usually do 6 miles @ about 38 minutes.

I already got a decent cardio base, so I feel like it would be a lot easier to go into intervals and all that good stuff from what I already have.

Comment

You'd need to build up your cardio before intervals is effective. I would recommend you to be able to run 5 km at 25 min without going flat out. Then you can try adventuring into intervals. Intervals are great, but is also very tough on your joints and going at close to max speed is not to be recommended before you have build up your strenght.

I used to run a lot and had great help using a heartrate monitor. To me that is a key to make running effective.
          Last edited by BattlingNelson; 06-09-2014, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by olliesmiff View Post
            froch put a tweet before the wembley fight saying 3 mile run done in 18 mins

i do 5k in 20 mins, for anyone who lives in UK there is a really handy website - www.parkrun.org.uk - they organise free, weekly, 5k timed runs all over the country

In Carl Froch's case 3 miles in 18 mins is pretty good. He is 37, hates running and lets not forget he'd be running that a good few pounds above fight weight. Realistically he might have been as high as 12 stone 6Lbs or so. Not too many club runners at that weight would find an 18 min 3 mile run easy.

Comment

[QUOTE=msagrain;14645974]For a world class athlete, 3 miles in 18 mins isn't particularly good.

I would expect him to do a lot faster but wasn't it like a day before the fight?[QUOTE]

I'm not sure when he did that run, it was mentioned in an earlier post in this thread. He most definitely shouldn't have been training at that pace the day before the fight though......should have been conserving energy for the fight.

You're right; in world class terms an 18 min 3 mile time isn't that impressive. But one thing I have learnt from competing as a local runner for the last few years is that running times/competence are very much proportionate to the weight of runner.

I can't think of anyone locally who could rattle off a sub 18 min 3 mile time who weighs between 12 and 12.5 stone. I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there who can, but they'd probably be comparatively quite rare or of the tall and lanky variety.

My best 3 mile time was enroute to a 5K (3.11 miles) and I passed the 3 mile mark in 15:55 but I only weigh 10:7.......with an extra 2 stone to carry, it would be a tough task to crack 18 mins.

Comment

It needs to be mentioned that if your training to get into shape your running sessions need to be geared to improve conditioning. (breathing/ muscle/ mind.
                Once your in shape your sessions should change to strength and stamina.
                Then when your maintaining top condition there's a different approach to that.

There's nothing in boxing that's cut and dry other than your going to get hit!!!

Road work is where you get your mind right along with legs and lungs!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                  what he said.

I don't know if he is a 'trolling ass' or not but he's right on target.

As an amateur, you don't need long miles like 5 a day. Pro fighters do that for endurance, sure you need endurance too, but not to that level. Figure one of your fights lasts at the most 6 minutes. For a pro that is only 2 rounds of boxing for him, therefore the long miles for endurance.

You need to train to be explosive, not so much in power but more so in quantity and speed. Interval sprints are great for building you to fight in flurries and to recover quickly so that you're right there and ready to take yourself a 2nd or 3rd helping if the offering is there.

Do this. Go to a regulation 1/4 mile track. Do your thing to get yourself ready to work and then take a walk around the track. When you do a lap walk that first corner again and then once you touch the 100m line you bust out running as fast as you can. Cross the 100m line a the end of the straight and walk the corner. Hit the next 100m line bust out running as fast as you can and then repeat.

See how you fare at 6 sprints per session to begin. If you want to time yourself than time your 100m sprints. 3 laps around the track running the straights, walking the corners.

Leave the long miles for maybe Saturday or sunday (make sure to have an off day where you just go out and walk abit.), other than that stick to the sprints.

You need endurance yes, but not like the pros need endurance.

When you start handling 6 sprints well let us know.
                  I've done this but I've done sprinting the straightaways and jogging the curves. But obviously my sprints would be faster if I walked the curves. Do you find one method superior to the other?

Also, to persuade you to answer this question, here's this cat:

Comment

Originally posted by msagrain
                    I don't even run anymore, but I managed 5 miles yesterday and it took me 35 minutes. It used to be to be a lot faster.

I'm pretty sure I could do 3 miles in 18 mins, if I was fresh and pushed myself but weight training makes me lethargic.

I think a combination of sprints, interval training, hill running/sprints and a variety of distance running at different paces/distances is beneficial.
                    I'm calling you out on your

You're not physically built to sustain that amount of glycogen for extended periods of time, I doubt you could even run 3 miles in 18 minutes with that physique.

Comment

Working...
                    X