Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guy is just out of range when you cross, what do you do?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guy is just out of range when you cross, what do you do?

So you fire a cross and just after you start the punch you realize your cross isnt going to reach its target because he is slightly too far away.

Do you lean forward a little (slip heavily) to make sure it lands?

Do you take a step forwards with the front foot only to get that extra range?

Do you purposely miss and get back to your stance ready to do something else?

Or do you do something else not on my list?

You cant do any of those unless youre throwing punches in slowmotion. You cant punch and move at the same time, you can only do one; punch or move.

Thats why you keep your lead hand up, so you dont get countered. Same with keeping your shoulder at your chin when you throw, to atleast protect your chin.

Once youre fist is out there midway theres nothing you can do about it, assuming youre throwing a punch and not a pity pat or feinting. The only thing that will save you is the proper technique. Then you either go on the attack again or be defensive.

You can lean in to try to make a punch but thats a good way to be off balance and get your head blown off.

Its a good idea to get a trainer and learn this stuff, because trying things on your own can lead you down the wrong route then you have to unlearn everything you were doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Layzie Kidd View Post
      You cant do any of those unless youre throwing punches in slowmotion. You cant punch and move at the same time, you can only do one; punch or move.

Thats why you keep your lead hand up, so you dont get countered. Same with keeping your shoulder at your chin when you throw, to atleast protect your chin.
      a trainer and learn this stuff, because trying things on your own can lead you down the wrong route then you have to unlearn everything you were doing.
      Chris Eubank alters his punch on the fly does he punch in slow motion?

I admit if you are punching real fast you dont have time so this is for just before you throw a punch and hes out of range slightly, do you try to reach a bit further or do you not throw the punch despite seeing a opening for it if you were to reach a bit further.?

Comment

the jab is your range finder....if you cant connect with your jab, you cant with your other punches...use jab more...your definately not going to connect with every punch..make sure your always throwing the proper techniques so your not leaving yourself open when u miss, and never never just stand there after, always keep your head movement...your gonna get countered some..its just part of the game

Comment

when you miss with the cross you follow up with a hook.

Comment

I would just pull it back. Even if your too far committed get it back ASAP because if they make you miss like that you may get countered. Always pull your hand back into position whether you pull the punch, miss or whatever else.

Anytime you throw a straight or a cross you should put your head to the outside. This puts you in line for more power and puts your head out of line for there straight or cross. Keep your chin tucked under you shoulder.

You can also pivot the f outta there. Or duck under in the direction of the last hand you threw with (general rule of thumb but its not written in stone).

Sometimes, at the very beginning of a punch I have pulled it back because im out of range so in turn I don't have to worry to much about getting hit.

So pull it if its out of range, otherwise you wont know whether or not you will miss until they slip or jump out of range themselves and by then you have usually threw. If they jump out of range you should be ok. If they slip you depend on technique to not get countered.

Comment

it all depends on the style of your opponent

Comment

i feel like most of your questions... can be answered with
                "it depends"
                because there are just so many styles, so many types of opponents, so many variables...
                and there isnt just one answer to solve it all :/.
                experience i guess. or just go around and see how things work for u

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
                  i feel like most of your questions... can be answered with
                  "it depends"
                  because there are just so many styles, so many types of opponents, so many variables...
                  and there isnt just one answer to solve it all :/.
                  experience i guess. or just go around and see how things work for u
                  good point thanks

Comment

If you throw the right hand from too far away, you had better hope that the guy you are fighting is too stupid to realize it or too far away to make you pay for it.
                    That is a good way to get hurt.

Comment

Working...
                    X