Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you counter a southpaw that mostly runs and uses the jab?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you counter a southpaw that mostly runs and uses the jab?

So he is adept at avoiding the straight right hand. Thats all he has to look out for really. (his catchers mit is up ready for it)

He can out jab you because hes more practiced at it.

He stays at long range and circles left or right and runs just so he can jab jab jab jab jab parry jab jab parry jab you to death.

If you try to close and pressure fight only then would he keep you off with the left hand

How would you handle such an opponent?

Since the southpaw has the jab advantage would you say this is a viable (if not crowd pleasing) strategy?

It just seems to be really effective you out point them, and they have to walk onto your power punches if they want to get passed your jab. Its like unless they have longer reach the southpaw has all the advantages.

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
    So he is adept at avoiding the straight right hand. Thats all he has to look out for really. (his catchers mit is up ready for it)

He can out jab you because hes more practiced at it.

He stays at long range and circles left or right and runs just so he can jab jab jab jab jab parry jab jab parry jab you to death.

If you try to close and pressure fight only then would he keep you off with the left hand

How would you handle such an opponent?

Since the southpaw has the jab advantage would you say this is a viable (if not crowd pleasing) strategy?

It just seems to be really effective you out point them, and they have to walk onto your power punches if they want to get passed your jab. Its like unless they have longer reach the southpaw has all the advantages.
    stay to the outside of his lead foot....use check hooks and right str8's, parry his jab and throw hook

Comment

Originally posted by kbpoetree View Post
      stay to the outside of his lead foot....use check hooks and right str8's, parry his jab and throw hook
      Really good answer thankyou!

Comment

I believe that I'm done posting in here. Call me if you have questions ........................... Rockin'
        Last edited by Rockin'; 03-01-2014, 02:23 PM.

Comment

lk i siad, 39.17 deg hook.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
            I believe that I'm done posting in here. Call me if you have questions or stay on here for the generic 'how to' answers of the forum........................... Rockin'
            Finally...I mean heaven forbid an amateur get an answer he understands

Comment

Originally posted by kbpoetree View Post
              Finally...I mean heaven forbid an amateur get an answer he understands
              Isn't that what a TRAINER is for???

Comment

I believe that I'm done posting in here. Call me if you have questions ........................... Rockin'
                Damn Alexkid even made rockin quit lol

Answer : Typically a southpaw jabs and steps to his right. When I tried doing that and an oponent could ''counter'' this technique with a hook using his lead hand, therefore stoping my outside-right progression and coutering over the jab.
                Last edited by Madan; 03-01-2014, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Learn to move your head and cut off the ring.

Comment

thats a shame Rock, dont worry about the trolls they are just poking and ribbing you just accept the annoyance and it will go away.

Comment

Working...
                    X