• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by THE REED™
    Mon wed fri

Run, 12-15 rounds heavybag.

Tues - Chest & Back; squats

Thurs - Shoulders arms; deadlifts

Doing chest and shoulders on two different days on top of your boxing routine will put alot of stress on your shoulders. Chest exercises and of course shoulder exercises put a lot of stress on your shoulders.

I would work them on the same day but if your dead set with your routine make sure you do some rotator cuff exercises.

You may already know all this but just trying to help.

Comment

Putting them on the same day would make it worse... it would be excessive shoulder work in one day... I split it up on purpose.

Fair enough...

You already work your shoulders when you do chest exercises so you really wouldnt have to do as much with your shoulders if you work them all in the same day as chest.

Doing them on two different days puts that stress on them twice a week.

Its not bad for strength and size training alone but imo not good while training to fight.

Then again im not sure on the specifics of your routine but if your doing a full blown chest workout then two days later doing a full blown shoulders workout all while training to fight it seems like that can eventually lead to a shoulder problem.

But like I said I dont know the volume you do of either.

Comment

Splitting up shoulder work into two days is much more injury safe than doubling up your shoulder work all in one day. It's half and half, instead all in one day. This is common sense.

I'm not training to fight...

Doing presses, may utilize the shoulders but they do not in anyway build muscle in the shoulders like side/front lateral raises, or overhead presses, or front barbell raises. Shoulder day is crucial... You're not going to get well developed shoulders from your chest day.

I apologize, Im thinking more of a boxer in training workout.

As far as strength and size routines I agree. If you do chest and shoulders in one day you wouldnt get the full benefits of both.

Comment

Originally posted by Beavis_5000 View Post
          Hey guys this is just my 2 cents so feel free to disagree with what I am about to say but I think anymore than 1 or 2 weight lifting days per week is too much if your training to fight.

imo it will cause you to over train and likely negatively effect your overall conditioning and stamina.

I didnt read through all the post carefully so I dont know the detail of all your workouts so I may have missed something.

Danny Gunz, it sounds to me like your already showing some effects of over training in your shoulders and your thinking about switching to that wieghtlifting routine in your second post? Not a good idea.

Your body needs rest or its gonna break down.
          Honestly I haven't trained to fight in a couple years. It is what it is. I still do boxing workouts each week but more just for fun.

I do think weight lifting can be amazing for boxing though. If I were to do lifting while training for fighting I'd probably do 3 days a week with a 5/3/1 full body program. I think you could get away with 3 lifting days a week but any more than that might be too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
            Honestly I haven't trained to fight in a couple years. It is what it is. I still do boxing workouts each week but more just for fun.

I do think weight lifting can be amazing for boxing though. If I were to do lifting while training for fighting I'd probably do 3 days a week with a 5/3/1 full body program. I think you could get away with 3 lifting days a week but any more than that might be too much.

5/3/1 as in sets?

If so thats pretty low volume and would likely be very beneficial.

Anyway, I was misunderstanding the post so I apologize. I was thinking in terms of training for boxing conditioning/stamina.

Comment

Originally posted by Beavis_5000 View Post
              5/3/1 as in sets?

If so thats pretty low volume and would likely be very beneficial.

Anyway, I was misunderstanding the post so I apologize. I was thinking in terms of training for boxing conditioning/stamina.
              It's cool man. Just wanted to get some discussion going.

5/3/1 is a program based on a rep scheme of 5-3-1 it is mainly for strength gains and I had some of the best strength gains of my life on it. Look it up sometime if you are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
                It's cool man. Just wanted to get some discussion going.

5/3/1 is a program based on a rep scheme of 5-3-1 it is mainly for strength gains and I had some of the best strength gains of my life on it. Look it up sometime if you are interested.

Sounds interesting I will look it up. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                X