No announcement yet.

How to improve my left hand?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to improve my left hand?

I've had some serious issues for a long time with my left hand in terms of consistently getting my left hook correct and effective...i'm right handed and orthodox and predominantly my right is so much more powerful, accurate and clean in terms of technique but my left... (although the jab is okay I think, I'll post a GIF below), I have some serious problems throwing the hook effectively. On occasion, it is fine which suggests I may not be pivoting or rotating my body enough to get a clean follow through or any real power, but it does worry me as there just seems to be a big imbalance between my arms and the right hook isn't particularly useful compared to the left in terms of actual practicality in a fight...so, what should I work on to improve the effectiveness of my left?

I'll post the following GIFs below, showing my left hand throwing the jab and a left hook...I am wearing 16oz gloves which makes it quite awkward, heavier than a regular fist-only shadow boxing alternative.

Simple Jab -

Jab with left hook follow-on -

I slowed down the video of the second GIF so it's more clear to see in terms of the technique.

My guess is (because you have not filmed your entire body) that your left hip has not turned enough so that you are only hitting with your upper body and not using the ground for leverage. Get into a position where your left hip has turned a lot and you will feel you have much more leverage on your hook.

Comment

It all starts with proper technique, then continuous drills/practice/repetition.

Judging by the way you bounce a lot, you look pretty green. Now is the time to get technique down before the bad habits become too ingrained.

- You have a decent snap on the jab...just extend it out more.
      - Stop bouncing so much
      - Your right hand stays next to your chin when you throw your left hand. Don't drop it.
      - Your hook is all arm. Turn your hips when you throw the left hook. Get your body into it.

Shadowbox in front of a mirror to make sure you're throwing your punches properly. Once you get the proper technique down, practice is over and over again on the heavy bag.

Comment

Having watched the footage again there is no question I am right about you having minimal hip turn in your hook. If it does not turn the shoulders are working AGAINST it and this both limits the range of motion but also Takes Power away as the upper body is being slowed down by the hips and legs.Turn your hip so that they line up with your target and feel the difference. I suggest you get a broom handle and hold it against your hips and work on increasing your range of motion. This will help you get the idea of ground up power.

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
          It all starts with proper technique, then continuous drills/practice/repetition.

Judging by the way you bounce a lot, you look pretty green. Now is the time to get technique down before the bad habits become too ingrained.

- Stop bouncing so much
          - Your right hand stays next to your chin when you throw your left hand. Don't drop it.
          - Your hook is all arm. Turn your hips when you throw the left hook. Get your body into it.

Shadowbox in front of a mirror to make sure you're throwing your punches properly. Once you get the proper technique down, practice is over and over again on the heavy bag.
          Originally posted by Prince Mongo View Post
          Having watched the footage again there is no question I am right about you having minimal hip turn in your hook. If it does not turn the shoulders are working AGAINST it and this both limits the range of motion but also Takes Power away as the upper body is being slowed down by the hips and legs.Turn your hip so that they line up with your target and feel the difference. I suggest you get a broom handle and hold it against your hips and work on increasing your range of motion. This will help you get the idea of ground up power.
          Yeah, a lot of the points you have made are right, and I am aware of them - just gotta implement more and practice. Thanks for the feedback. I'll be back soon and I might upload some more stuff later on.

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post

- Stop bouncing so much

Right, I'm back so I can go over this in more detail:

- To your first point, yes - I do sometimes throw the jab a bit short, need to work on that extension and sharpness to bring it back to cover.

- In relation to the bouncing, I don't usually do that, just did it this time to make sure I wasn't flat footed and for it to aid my movement a bit in terms of not trying to be too stationary.

- Yes, I know I have to cover my chin with the hand that isn't punching, and make sure this doesn't drop. I was quite tired when I was doing this so I wasn't particularly fresh so the concentration may have let me down a little bit in terms of dropping guard, need to focus on that not becoming a bad habit.

- I agree, but it's mostly on my left side that I have this problem, it just doesn't feel right when I am throwing it for some reason. However, I do know it's due to me needing to work on the hip rotation and relaxing the arm a bit more, it seems a bit stiff in terms of when I throw the hook. On the right hook, I feel it's pretty good, it feels much more natural and I get lots more power into it.

- Yeah, will do.

Originally posted by Prince Mongo View Post
            I get what you mean, and I'll try and implement this for my left because it really needs work. However, this in particular was a hook that I was trying to disguise off the jab, a short one, so there wouldn't be much swinging or telegraphing of the punch, which is why it looks like there's even less movement than there is. On the right, occasionally I feel its swinging too much or my body is pivoting too far and leaves myself open for punches.

Anyhow, thanks to both of you for the feedback - noted and appreciated. If I get some more footage done, any suggestions on what I should record (to get advice on) - shadow boxing without gloves? Uppercuts and hooks? Let me know, thanks again!

Comment

quick question: is jab the only punch where you don't punch through the target?

Comment

You're fine..... Just make sure when you're shadowing boxing in the mirror and you're Over-exaggerating you're foot and hip when throwing that punch... I hope that kinda makes since I'm an idiot on the keyboard.

Start watching bradley, GGG, mayweathers, the russian, puerto ricans, Mexicans, basically what i am trying to say watch how they throw there left hand in the youtube videos.... video study is huge... Also watch there hips and footwork and set ups....

I don't know you're situation if you have a buddy or training partner or coach that will hold for you try some of these combo

Jab, Cross, Left hook to the body then left hook to the head...

Try the European style 1-3.... jab left hook but take the left hook right after the jab keep it out there...

jab, right hook to the body and come with the left hook upstairs...

If you're putting your videos up means your pretty serious which means you will get good.. Just slow the bouncing down relax you will be good get rid of nervous energy and don't over think... Work on you're footwork A LOT!!!

Also for the whole practice just throws left hooks....long left hooks, tight inside left hooks, lefts to the body and hell even jumping left hooks and going southpaw and throwing left hooks.... Just mix it up throw like 1000 left hooks on the heavy bag.... Throw left hooks when you're watching tv in youre house... It wont take long you will be fine. i hope that **** helps it might sound dumb but it will work.
                Last edited by Mike_Erm; 01-16-2014, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Erm View Post
                  You're fine..... Just make sure when you're shadowing boxing in the mirror and you're Over-exaggerating you're foot and hip when throwing that punch... I hope that kinda makes since I'm an idiot on the keyboard.

Start watching bradley, GGG, mayweathers, the russian, puerto ricans, Mexicans, basically what i am trying to say watch how they throw there left hand in the youtube videos.... video study is huge... Also watch there hips and footwork and set ups....

I don't know you're situation if you have a buddy or training partner or coach that will hold for you try some of these combo

Jab, Cross, Left hook to the body then left hook to the head...

Try the European style 1-3.... jab left hook but take the left hook right after the jab keep it out there...

jab, right hook to the body and come with the left hook upstairs...

If you're putting your videos up means your pretty serious which means you will get good.. Just slow the bouncing down relax you will be good get rid of nervous energy and don't over think... Work on you're footwork A LOT!!!

Also for the whole practice just throws left hooks....long left hooks, tight inside left hooks, lefts to the body and hell even jumping left hooks and going southpaw and throwing left hooks.... Just mix it up throw like 1000 left hooks on the heavy bag.... Throw left hooks when you're watching tv in youre house... It wont take long you will be fine. i hope that **** helps it might sound dumb but it will work.
                  Thank you for the feedback! Much appreciated man. I'll take that on board. Yeah, I do need to keep working on my footwork to make sure I have some good movement defensively and offensively, it can let me down sometimes if I am too stationary and I can't get proper power into some punches as I don't follow through like I should by constantly moving in and out. My left will get good eventually, I'm confident of that, just practice, practice and more practice. It's more to improve consistency than generally building from scratch. Anyway, I'll keep working, thanks again.

Comment

As concerns technique, I think all the above advice is correct. I'll expound on it a bit:

1) A good idea for making sure you are getting better hip rotation on your hook (or even turning your body with your jab or throwing your right) is to pay attention to where your belly button is pointed.

Look it where it is in your normal stance. Then when you throw the hook with proper hip rotation, look where it ends up -- if your hip rotates it should be more or less pointing to the wall to your right. If you spend some time paying attention to this, you'll reinforce hip rotation.

2) Try doing a lot of slow-motion shadowboxing on this, paying full attention to proper technique as it has been taught to you. It's like a walk-through in football, going through the plays at walking speed over and over so that you know your "steps" (on in boxing, your body motion) better when you get to full speed. Builds muscle memory for when you get to the point where you are doing without thinking so that your body remembers to do it right.

Now beyond technique, you asked about how to get better and stronger with your left hand. Here are a few suggestions:

1) Do some shadowboxing with a very light weight -- couple of pounds of dumbbell or weighted gloves, etc. -- every day with the left hand.

2) Get one of those squeeze balls and work it with your left hand constantly to try to build up the strength where it is more equal to the right.

3) For dexterity -- better muscle control, better connection between the brain and the left, basically -- carry a tennis ball around and practice bouncing it on the ground and catching it just with the left. Dribble with it. Toss it against a wall (aiming for better and better accuracy) and catch it with that hand. Anything like this. The better you get, pick up speed -- throw it harder, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X