Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I'm Getting worse.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You seem to have more speed in the first vid, and more power in the second.
    Are you sure it's not just that in the first one you were going for speed and the second you were going for purely power, hence slightly less speed and snap?

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™
      Lots of different ways to shoot punches.. Obviously stepping in closes the gap between you and your opponent. However if you are in range, or your opponent steps in, you can plant and pivot and really deliver full power. There were times when one of your feet weren't even on the ground when you were shooting your right hand. If you are already in range of the heavybag, no need to step in, pivot your body and shoot with full power.

Not all bad though... you had good movement and speed, good head movement etc.
      Here's a different Video excuse the short armed rabbit punches, but am I still not sticking the punches? and I understand what your saying but I don't see the foot movements you mention in the videos. I believe in this video I didn't do PT prior so I was less tired, and it's closer as well.

Last edited by Be_kind_rewind; 01-14-2014, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Locche View Post
        You seem to have more speed in the first vid, and more power in the second.
        Are you sure it's not just that in the first one you were going for speed and the second you were going for purely power, hence slightly less speed and snap?
        well check the vid I just posted, because surprisingly I was always told I'm a hard hitter so people telling me anything relating to speed is confusing. I try to pick up speed in my punches, but I make sure i'm constantly hitting my hardest, anyone have a reference video I can watch to see how off i am?

the vid i just posted below your comment I believe I was going for power and it is relatively around the same time as the first one. I can upload a different vid at my first duty station but it's really dark and short.

Comment

Good video.

This took me like 5 seconds to make, but this is what Im talking about... if you freeze at 2:25.... Your back foot is no longer planted when you go to shoot your right hand. So essentially the only power you will have in it, is just arm strength.

[IMG]http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff419/ree****yaluss/pivot_zpsdb8ca8c3.jpg[/IMG]

You pivot your foot when you shoot the right hand, but its pivoting for the sake of pivoting... You arent actually pushing off because your foot is already up on the toe essentially.

holy ****. How in the hell did you catch that? I see what the other guy was saying now. A few days after I recorded myself some kid who has won the golden gloves was telling me something about my right foot but he just wasn't being clear enough , but I see it now.

Comment

Just know what to look for.

That's what I was talking about shuffling your feet basically. There's an actual point to pivoting your back foot, your not supposed to do it just because that's what the coach says. You're supposed to push off when you pivot, which drives your leg, which turns your torso, which turns your upperbody, and shoulders, and drives your right hand all simultaneously. Without actually pushing off something, you aren't getting all the force behind your punch, and you are essentially just pivoting to pivot.

If you've ever heard the term "sit down on your punches"...

I've heard that a lot. I will be watching some technique videos and trying to see what im missing now. I'm picky on boxing coaches, especially when they want me to pay for pad work. Is that the norm?

Comment

Reed linked me here and just a quick look at the video it seems you need lots of work. If you want to compete, definitely look into a boxing gym because I can't go into depth as to everything you need.

Reed pretty much pointed out the most obvious and that is your footwork. It's very basic and you need to learn to pivot and step without picking your feet up and move more fluid when throwing your shots.

You can generate a lot of power without even having to throw hard if you know how to sit on your shots and turn into them while relaxing the shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                Reed linked me here and just a quick look at the video it seems you need lots of work. If you want to compete, definitely look into a boxing gym because I can't go into depth as to everything you need.

Reed pretty much pointed out the most obvious and that is your footwork. It's very basic and you need to learn to pivot and step without picking your feet up and move more fluid when throwing your shots.

You can generate a lot of power without even having to throw hard if you know how to sit on your shots and turn into them while relaxing the shoulders.
                Yeah it's hard without a trainer, I can't control all the mistakes i make even infront of a mirror, my problem is finding a good gym to train at. I started out when i was 14 in Staten Island and by the time i was 19 going on 20 i stopped going and trained on my own. then i tried another gym around june of last year and the trainer wasn't helping me out much no advice was given unless he was being paid for that session even during sparring I didn't get much advice, so i assumed I couldn't find a gym like the one I had when i was younger.

Some do, some don't.

Depends.

If you're just a guy looking to get a boxing workout in, you will probably get charged.

If you are a young/younger kid, looking to take the sport seriously, and a coach thinks you have good talent/potential they may take you under their wing for free (until you start making some coin).

I want to compete but not monetary reasons, or anything special I just like boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Be_kind_rewind View Post
                  Yeah it's hard without a trainer, I can't control all the mistakes i make even infront of a mirror, my problem is finding a good gym to train at. I started out when i was 14 in Staten Island and by the time i was 19 going on 20 i stopped going and trained on my own. then i tried another gym around june of last year and the trainer wasn't helping me out much no advice was given unless he was being paid for that session even during sparring I didn't get much advice, so i assumed I couldn't find a gym like the one I had when i was younger.
                  I train amateurs and pro's everyday. It's not something you can half ass or take lightly. If you want to compete, you need to be in tip top shape, and be trained properly by a trainer that knows what he/she is doing.

I have already gone down this road with people who post videos of their "training" and they are just con artists who want to make money off of people.

If you have talent, then a boxing trainer will take you on free of charge. The kids in my gym with promise, we don't charge at all. We train them up and get them ready for competition.

I don't know where you live or how old you are but that's the way it should work. Boxing is the most difficult sport in the world IMO and it takes more than just working the bags and getting in shape. You need really good sparring on a consistent basis, and a trainer that will be your eyes outside of the ring.

Comment

its hard to tell with bag work but your def slower in the second

listen im in the gym every day and one day im on fire the next i feel like **** kits a continuous cycle
                    everyone can have bad days

Comment

I thought a sec that u were too fast for my eyes to see in the 2nd vid not until u popped up in the vid at 1min

Comment

Working...
                      X