Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What am I supposed to do after I land a right hook as a southpaw?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I supposed to do after I land a right hook as a southpaw?

So lets say the orthadox fighter throws a straight right at me and I counter by stepping diagonally foward while slipping and throwing a right hook.

If I follow up my hook with a left cross or uppercut it feels like he may able to beat me to the punch with a left hook or even another cross, and im kinda on the his power side (his right side/inside) and vunerable to his power shots.

So I dont know what to do after I land that right hook, I just feel in danger.

Also I dont know how to fight on the left side as im always circling right so I have bugger all experience when on this side.

lol at this point, you need to just start posting videos of you demonstrating your questions.

Comment

Personally, I go with the uppercut.

Also, you really should start practicing fighting/circling going both ways. No need to start practicing it on a live opponent, but when you are shadow boxing, working the heavy, etc. Alot of things you could do as a lefty, the skys the limit. Personally, a couple I'd start working on is a straight left right hook, becoming proficient at this and eventually adding more punches onto it like a left uppercut right hook. Also, look at changing levels, like a jab upstairs, straight left to body, right hook up top. Etc.

Comment

I use that left-cross. The hook and the cross are the perfect weapons to rotate your opponent counter-clockwise. That movement allows you to get off your hook and cross, while not allowing them to do anything.

Comment

Once you land the right hook, pivot, step back, get out of the ring, and go find yourself a proper boxing instructor who'll answer these questions for you.

Comment

Originally posted by dib420 View Post
            once you land the right hook, pivot, step back, get out of the ring, and go find yourself a proper boxing instructor who'll answer these questions for you.
            lmao.......

Comment

Originally posted by Augustane View Post
              I use that left-cross. The hook and the cross are the perfect weapons to rotate your opponent counter-clockwise. That movement allows you to get off your hook and cross, while not allowing them to do anything.
              Thanks mate in this particular instant Im going clockwise because I just stepped diagonally in to their right my left to get more power on my lead right hook.

So Im in the danger zone now and I dont know what to do. If I throw a cross/uppercut from where I am he may beat me to the punch with his left hook/uppercut or even cross because my rear hand punches have to travel further and I have no lead hand punches available after my right hook lands to the head.

So normally when I throw a hook I pivot to my right, but now im on the wrong side and dont know what to do.

Should I pivot left and follow with a left cross?
              Last edited by AlexKid; 04-17-2013, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
                Thanks mate in this particular instant Im going clockwise because I just stepped diagonally in to their right my left to get more power on my lead right hook.

So Im in the danger zone now and I dont know what to do. If I throw a cross/uppercut from where I am he may beat me to the punch with his left hook/uppercut or even cross because my rear hand punches have to travel further and I have no lead hand punches available after my right hook lands to the head.

So normally when I throw a hook I pivot to my right, but now im on the wrong side and dont know what to do.

Should I pivot left and follow with a left cross?
                Honestly, while I originally posted my thread looking just for critique, you might find my last two videos useful.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=593070

The main punches I utilized were the hook and cross against my opponents. You can try some of the things I did in those last two videos, since I know they definitely worked for me there. Maybe they'll work for you as well.

Comment

Working...
                X