No announcement yet.

concepts for defense

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• concepts for defense

Anyone have any principles / concepts to follow regarding improving your defense? Positioning,eyes,timing,footwork,etc etc? Thanks in advance

Train with a defensive mindset...

Footwork and Head movement when hitting the bag.

When skipping, move around to improve footwork

Sparring with a defensive mindset... there isn't a concept, just train with a defensive mindset.

Me personally I emphasize footwork more than anything, but that's just me and what I am comfortable with, find what you are more comfortable with.

Comment

Originally posted by Fearless View Post
      Train with a defensive mindset...

Footwork and Head movement when hitting the bag.

When skipping, move around to improve footwork

Sparring with a defensive mindset... there isn't a concept, just train with a defensive mindset.

Me personally I emphasize footwork more than anything, but that's just me and what I am comfortable with, find what you are more comfortable with.
      This is good advice. I add that you need to learn to SEE better.Many people look but don't SEE what is going on missing out on early warnings. Look at the chest area and body movements and shape will give you early warnings of what is to come. If you are fighting a right handed fighter if his right shoulder goes back watch his right hand and understand that he has nothing on his left hook and move right away from his right. Apart from the jab there will always be a body movement or shape that precedes the shot. With the left hook if you see the right shouder come forward and the left foot go to the side you know it is coming next so move to your left fast. There is always a body movement preceding the punch so learn to look for them and train yourself to see them and what they mean and build in the correct reactive response. That is what the great defensive artists are doing.
      Most people are traumatised when sparring that their ability to observe goes right down. Put on some body armour and just let some guy hit you and watch him. You will be amazed how qucikly you will see give aways in body movements. By doing the pads for someone you also learn to observe better provided you are minded to train your eyes better.This is because the stress levels drop because you are not getting hurt and you have time to watch and figure out without the stress of having of the fear of getting hit.
      Learn to slip,block ,parry and bob and weave and lateral movement and keep moving. Moving targets are harder to hit and make it difficult for your oponent. to set himself to unload. It is much easier to unload on a statue.
      Footwork and especially lateral footwork is key. After an attack do not exit on the same path you came in on as and move out on a different angle and then move laterally. If your oponent sees you moving in and out on the same path he will track you on the way out and attacking you is easy if you move out on a different angle then move laterally he won't be able to do that.

Comment

One drill that I use a lot in shadowboxing is to visualize my opponents offense and work out how I will defend against it. He has to throw something at you, and it helps if you are prepared for all scenarios. If you can't see yourself do it then it will be difficult to actually do it. Start slow and build up to full speed, just like how you execute your offense.

For example opponent throws jab, RH, LH, ...How many ways can you defend this?

If you hold your ground you can - catch the jab, left block (to block RH), right block (to block LH)
        You can snap back/slip back, slip left (to avoid RH), duck under the LH
        You can catch the jab, step back and cover for the RH and LH and then go for a ride on your bike.

There are other ways you can defend against this combo. Of course you don't know what your opponent will throw, but if you have the individual pieces and have worked through enough scenarios you'll be able to defend on the fly, you will automatically dip into your memory for reference.

The concepts is that you have to have the technique that defends against each piece and you have to be able to put defensive combinations together to match offensive combinations. Once you are solid on this then you can start to insert your counters, you'll get to the point where you don't even have to wait until your opponent is done throwing before you counter.

Comment

Working...
        X