Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strategies to use against a counter puncher

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spamming jabs? Are you talking Fight Night Champion?

Comment

First off if your pacing yourself in a all spar sessions your not training correctly. You need spar sessions when your working on specific techniques but you also need "open" sessions to exact where your conditioning is at when your under pressures!
      As for dealing with counter punchers the first thing is to fight "your fight" if your opponents counters are working against you then you need to have worked on all the options! Is he working under or over is it his lead or power does it follow a counter move. Theres to many variables to discuss, do you have a video?
      This is simular to talking about boxing a good southpaw before you start to be concerned about the difference you need to impose YOUR differences on them!! You don't change what you do until something occurs to make you change. If you have a specific example I'd be glad to offer my opinions!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
        To me... you set traps on him.... If you know he wants to counterpunch, then give him something to counter, whilst knowing you are going to counter him right after. Anticipate him countering you, and give him an answer.
        I'm sure you're a modern day RJJ with this one.

Comment

Use those feints. I like feinting and throwing them off their balance, as they're trying to anticipate my punch. Sometimes, don't feint and come right in - get on the inside and smother them where they can't punch.

Counter punching takes a lot of thought and anticipation. By dictating the pace of the round, you can easily throw them off their game and balance.

Comment

Working...
          X