Collapse
No announcement yet.

I cant get over the damn fear of getting hit

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With enough hard hits and damage that tension and nervousness fades fast. If I haven't sparred in several months the first one back always has me feeling that and adding to my stiffness. After that initial first time in a while I'm loose and perform like I do in shadowboxing. I haven't really had a time (past the getting reacquainted) where I wasn't in a kind of zone while sparring, doing that always makes me focused and concentrate. I often take punishment but I don't think about it much.

Comment

i used to have the same problem and also when i have actual fights im more scared of just getting ko'd for embarrassment reasons. but in sparring i really just learned to say **** it im gonna get hit anyway and that made me less gun shy when throwing i feel like when you are worried about getting hit more you make more mistakes to actually get hit more cause you arent focused on what you need to do. and ive actually been surprised to find out that one of my harder hitting sparring partners told me that out of everyone he sparred i took a punch better than anyone else with as far as being able to suck it up and making it look like it didnt bother me getting hit. so yea its basically all in your head imo like some other posters said. although i still need to get over my fear of being ko'd cause that ruins me in fights if anyone has any suggestions on that

Comment

if you are scared in there after the first few punches are thrown i don't want you fighting at all. you are shortchanging yourself being worried. first lets remove the word SCARED. how about you are cautioes. how well do you take a punch> if you don't have a glass jaw then i think you are ok. you say you do land punches but don't throw enough. so lets start upping the volume so the opponent maybe fears your punch. now as a pro and amateur i was just like you. my friend howard davis was the same way. so was michael nunn, jimmy young, hector camacho. all my friends. we used to talk about it all the time but never used the word scared. you have to substitite thet fear for what you bring to the table skill wise. while sparring on occasion engage the opponent to get a feel for alittle contact. infighting with controled agression. hope what i'm sayin makes sense.

Comment

im afraid of getting hit too lol, mainly because of BRAIN DAMAGE. sub- concussive impacts do cause cumulative damage to the brain, and since I don't plan on becoming a pro boxer, why subject my self to such punishment that will impact and linger well into my future? I try to keep sparring to a minimal.

Comment

Working...
          X