No announcement yet.

Russian style pad work

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian style pad work

For the ones who like to emphasize power this might be the style of mittwork for you. Just goes to show that you can work on just about anything you want with the pads.

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    For the ones who like to emphasize power this might be the style of mittwork for you. Just goes to show that you can work on just about anything you want with the pads.

This is real good work. I uploaded it to my facebook page a while ago(https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater)

Like you said there are so many ways to hold the mitts. An older head once gave me perspective..thousands of champs and all of them trained and fought different. A Million Styles Boxing

Comment

I like how he's instructing and isolating what he wants the student to absorb! I don't like the "leaning up & away" motion as he starts his right hand, theres no balance there until he comes forward with the punch. Its seems very awkward to me and leaning back or away is not where you want to be when taking a punch.
      Other than the leaning I like what I see and the mitts are accepting the punches before the arm is fully extended!! This is how the mitts are used to teach shots then formulate them into combo sequences. You teach your numbered combo's so the instructions can be given quickly with the least amount of describtion. (for the corner)( I have sought out an area where the mitts are poppin' loudly prior to a fight!! The kids like that crap hahahaha!!! better not get caught using "fight gloves" to pop mitts with!
      Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

As a Russian, I can tell you there is nothing specifically Russian in it. I visited Canada some time ago, and in Montreal a local coach practiced the same style of mitts work more or less: power and proper punching/defence/counters

Comment

I agree however you will NOT build power with Mitts! You can gain some power with more and more speed but I'm not talking about that method to gain with, its a minimal gain. There is no weight at the contact point to be able to build on. The heavy bag is the ultimate tool to gain power and conditioning! Yneed the weight and force to emulate a persons body, theres NO getting away from it! Ray

Comment

Working...
          X